Star Wars Battlefront senior producer Sigurlina Ingvarsdottir has outlined DICE’s DLC plans that will last all the way up until “early 2017”. The periodic DLC will include both free and paid-for content that begins releasing today, 27 January.
Up until now, Season Pass DLC has been a little vague. Ingvarsdottir has moved to correct that and has provided much more detail than previously available. There will be four DLC packs covered by the game’s Season Pass, and the first one lands in March 2016.
Season Pass content will include:
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Outer Rim (March 2016) – Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt’s palace on Tatooine
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Bespin (Summer 2016) – It’s hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Death Star (Fall 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.
Each of these four DLC packs will be made available on their own.
Free content will begin trickling out today. This free content includes Hero character outfits, new maps, additional game modes being added to existing maps, and, perhaps most excitingly, new Survival arenas.
Today’s updates include:
- Private matches are being introduced, so you’ll soon be able to organise your own games with just your friends. That’s a great addition that honestly should have probably been a part of the game to begin with. Two months late is better than never, right?
- Daily Challenges and new Community Events will also be added to the game. These Dailies will help players to level and earn credits faster.
- In terms of outfits, we’ll be getting Hoth themed clothing for Luke and Han, as these were unlocked when the game’s community completed the Heroes’ Holiday community mission in December last year.
- Finally, Tatooine’s Survival map can now be used for other game modes, like Drop Zone, Droid Run etc. Obviously the larger game modes of Walker Assault and Supremacy aren’t supported.
Free content doesn’t stop there, however, because in February DICE is adding a new Survival Mission on Hoth, and a new multiplayer map on Hoth that will be large enough for Walker Assault, Fighter Squadron, Turning Point, and Supremacy.
In March we’ll get a new Tatooine Survival Map, and a new Endor map for Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Turning Point.
That’s quite a bit of free content over the next two month. Once the free content is out, the paid for DLC starts to release.
On a sidenote: Star Wars Battlefront servers will be down for planned maintenance in order to add this January update of free content. The downtime will last for an hour and started at 10AM local SA time.