Well would you look at that, it’s time for yet another collection of epic Fallout 4 mods!
If you’ll recall, in part three we had a look at a few of the best-looking outfit mods out there, which is pretty great and all, but most of the outfits didn’t have any practical use. This week we’re all about practicality, and what’s more practical than new weapons? For all the weapon aficionados out there, hit the jump and bring a spare pair of Speedos, because it’s about to get steamy.
I’m not overly bothered with re-textures and remodels of original Fallout 4 weapons, so I’ll be attempting to only include mods that add entirely new weapons. Okay, enough with this intro thing, let’s get to it.
Let’s start off small, just to gently ease into our new, North Korea-esque armoury (it’s quite extensive, I’m sure). Pistols are the bread and butter of any shooter, but the pistols in F4 – aside from one or two notable exceptions – leave much to be desired. They’re mostly only effective during the early stages of the game unless you spend way too much time and effort upgrading them, and they’re just, well, BLAND. So, here are six pistols that are sure to spice things up a little.
First up we have the NCR Ranger Sequoia .44 Magnum (by Rakul aka GrindOne), and what a beautiful weapon it is. I installed the mod but haven’t gotten around to testing it yet, but if it’s even half as effective as it is gorgeous, it’ll probably become my new go-to pistol. The next two mods, M1911 – Standalone Handgun (by DOOM) and M9 Standalone Pistol (by FF7CloudStrife and Moniterman) feature two weapons that have some real-world beef with each other. According to Wikipedia, the Beretta M9 won a competition that aimed to replace the M1911A1 as the workhorse pistol of the US military. Both of these weapons are massive improvements over the standard 10mm in Fallout 4. Lastly, we have one of the most iconic guns ever created, the Desert Eagle. Desert Eagle .50 AE – Standalone Handgun (by DOOM) adds one of the most aesthetically pleasing pistols I’ve ever seen to the wasteland, that conveniently also packs one hell of a punch.
This entry is by far the meatiest, and for good reason. Most of us will use our trusty rifles (in all their many, many varieties) throughout the game in almost any situation, which is why we’re going to take a look at nine of them. Let’s get into it, and remember: “This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.”
Most, if not all of the rifles listed here can be highly customised with weapon mods, changing their base values according to your needs. With this in mind, I won’t be going into too much detail about each weapon (just follow the links for more info), except for a few of my personal favourites.
- The M2216 Standalone Assault Rifle (by FF7CloudStrife and thespaceman0915): Ah, the seriously iconic M2216 – no shooter would be complete without this little piece of gun heaven. Sleek, reasonably powerful and a lot of fun to play with. You can’t go wrong with this one.
- LK-05 Carbine (by DOOM): The LK-05 is a concept weapon that sits somewhere between an assault rifle and submachine gun, with decent range to boot.
- MK14 EBR (by dazzerfong): The only sniper rifle you should ever need, with a very decent fire rate.
- R91 Standalone Assault Rifle (by FF7CloudStrife): One of the most endorsed files in its category on Nexus Mods, and one of the most versatile weapons on this list. Definitely worth checking out.
- Gatling Rifle (by henkspamadres): Have you ever thought about what would happen if you somehow combined an assault rifle with a minigun? Well I sure haven’t, but here it is anyway, and it totally rips!
- The AK-2047 Standalone Assault Rifle (by FF7CloudStrife): Based on the “Type 93 Chinese assault rifle” from Fallout 3, just a whole lot better.
- HK G3 Battle Rifle (by Z06Frank): Another FPS staple that performs as well in the Wasteland as it does in pretty much every other game it’s in.
- Tumbajamba’s XM73 Gauss Rifle (by tumbajamba and Azrael_wtf): Here’s another rifle that deserves a nod, even if only because it’s the only useful new energy rifle I was able to dig up, and it looks really good too. Bonus!
- The M14 Standalone Rifle (by FF7CloudStrife and Moniterman): The M14 gets a special mention because it’s the first new weapon mod I installed in Fallout 4, and has been my starter rifle throughout many playthroughs. It’s reliable, does what it needs to, and looks awesome when fully modded.
Sometimes modern weapons firing their fancy bullets just don’t cut it. Thankfully we can always bolt back to the basics… Get it? Get it? I’ll show myself out, but not before showing you some low-tech weapons!
Insanitys Celtic Katana (by invalidfate) is up first, and it’s a mod everyone’s inner samurai should be mega-stoked about. The katana it adds to the game, while not perfect, is as close to it as we’re likely to get without the official creation kit. Crossbows of the Commonwealth (by TrickyVein) is our second mod, and it’s the only reasonably effective, almost bug-free bow mod currently on NM. The mod adds a very versatile, highly customisable crossbow to the game, and lets you craft a variety of bolts, each imbued with devastating effects.
Our next mod, Parang Machete HD (by Dhegonus) does what you’d expect, and adds a machete to the game. What makes it special (besides being a little OP) is the fact that it comes with Bear Grylls’ official seal of approval. Ultimate survivor indeed. Lastly we have the obligatory Lightsaber Renew (by invalidfate), which, you guessed it, adds a lightsaber to F4. So silly.
The best of the rest
I could probably drone on infinitely about all the Fallout 4 weapon mods on offer, but I’m not going to. Instead, let’s look at a few weapons that don’t fall into the categories above, but definitely deserve some attention.
H and K UMP 45 (by DDProductions83) adds the UMP 45 submachine gun to the wastes. The fan-favourite is just how you remember it: compact, sexy, and kicks all the butts ever. For when even a million bullets just isn’t enough, enter the WH-77 Modular L.S.W (by skibadaa). The light machine gun this mod adds to the game completely shreds whatever’s unfortunate enough to get in its way, and you should download it right now. Another new weapon you should consider downloading is the IF-88 Standalone Tactical Shotgun (by skibadaa). This particular shotgun is absolutely lethal at short range, and is a great upgrade over the vanilla shotguns. Ending off this roundup with a bang is the M79 Thumper Grenade Launcher (by DDProductions83), which is kind of, sort of, probably balanced (depending on how loosely you define your idea of “balanced”).
Oh what, we’re done already? Aw.
That’s it for part four folks. If you liked any of the mods mentioned above, or even if you didn’t, let me know in the comments down below.