Developer Respawn has dropped an update for the PC version of Titanfall 2 that adds adaptive resolution scaling, a feature that adjusts the in-game resolution to maintain a consistent framerate.
“This will be especially helpful for our users running lower spec video cards, allowing them to maintain 60fps more often, as well as those of you running 4K monitors with more midrange GPUs,” community manager Jay Frechette explains.
Basically, how this works is that the game prioritises a user-specified framerate, and dynamically scales the in-game resolution to compensate for heavy GPU load, much like it is on console. But, you know, be realistic about your hardware performance limits. That’s not a sex joke, but it could be.
“If you run a resolution or target framerate much higher than your machine will be capable of achieving you will be hindering image quality significantly as the Adaptive Resolution feature will be constantly downscaling your output to maintain performance,” he warns. “All systems will be different, so you should try different settings to see what works best for you and your configuration.”
Other fixes in the patch list include:
– Stability and GPU performance improvements
– Titan weakspot highlighting respects colorblind settings
– Reduced stuttering and playback issues with voice chat
– Improved speed of allocating Private Match dedicated servers
– Adjusted Recommended settings for lower end GPUs
– Reduced hitching when changing between no antialiasing and TSAA
– Increased performance of streaming textures, reducing stalls and hitches
– Archer and Thunderbolt now go to Aim-Down-Sights when wallhanging (oops!)
– Better Network chatroom moderation tools
– Fixed various grapple gameplay issues
– Fixed Kraber shots going through Bubble Shield
– Fixed certain combinations of weapon mods and menu selection resulting in no weapon model showing in customization menus
– Fixed spawning halfway underground after playing third person animations in Kill Replay
– Fixed tracker lock-on HUD elements not reliably showing up during Kill Replay
– Fixed Titan executions not triggering reliably
– Fixed mantling up stairs
– Fixed incorrect aspect ratio when switching from fullscreen 1920×1080 to windowed 1600×900
– Fixed some rare hardlocks and crashes
– Fixed subtitles being stretched in 21:9 ratios
– Fixed race condition when accepting Origin game invite with application closed
– Fixed some display issues in Networks lobbies
– Fixed disappearing grapple rope with TSAA enabled
– Fixed NVIDIA Surround crash
Titanfall 2 is out now on PC, Xbox One, and PS4.