After sticking with Pokémon Go for way longer than anyone else I know, I’d almost completely lost interest in the game before its Valentine’s Day event. I mean, the “quests” and daily bonuses kept me playing for a while, and the prospect of getting baby second-generation creatures from eggs was semi-exciting, but I couldn’t overlook the game’s lack of content any longer.
Enter Gen 2. According to the game’s official blog, Niantic will finally be adding 80 Pokémon from the Pokémon Gold and Silver games, including Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita, and many of my personal favourites. The update, which will go live “later this week”, will also feature a few other cool new additions.
The new features arriving with the upcoming update are as follows:
- Additional pokémon: More than 80 Pokémon that were originally discovered in the Johto region in the Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver video games, as well as Pokémon with gender-specific variations, will start rolling out in Pokémon Go.
- New evolutions: There are now more opportunities to evolve your Pokémon in Pokémon Go than ever before. Some Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region will soon be able to evolve — into Pokémon that inhabit the Johto region! Be on the lookout for new Evolution items at PokéStops, which you’ll need to evolve some Pokémon.
- New encounter gameplay: When you encounter Pokémon in the wild, don’t be surprised if they react in new ways as you’re trying to catch them. You’ll also notice the addition of new item carousels that allow you to select Berries and Poké Balls directly from the encounter screen. Hone your skills and catch those elusive Pokémon!
- New Berries: Pokémon enjoy eating Berries, and you’ll have the opportunity to get two new Berries by spinning the Photo Disc at PokéStops—Nanab Berries and Pinap Berries! Giving a Pokémon a Nanab Berry will slow its movements, making it easier to catch. The Pinap Berry doubles the amount of Candy you’ll receive if your next catch attempt succeeds.
- New avatars and an expanded wardrobe: Now you’ll be able to give your avatar a complete upgrade! Customize your look with a whole new selection of hats, shirts, pants, and other items.
We’ll have to wait and see whether all of this gets everyone up and at ’em again, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction for the game regardless. If you want to see all of the Pokémon included in Generation II, head over here.