I was super amped last month when Blizzard added Lúcio from Overwatch to Heroes of the Storm‘s roster. He’s a really cool character, and one hell of a support, but I couldn’t help but feel like he was missing… something. That something, as I’ve literally just discovered, is that he’s not cute. Like, at all.
Enter Probius, the Curious Probe. He’ll be HOTS‘ next specialist hero, and probably the most adorable addition since the Lil’Ragnaros skin. Blizzard released two trailers over the weekend showcasing the new character, and they show that he’s not just another pretty (face?) face.
“Since his activation, Probius has always wanted to prove himself,” says his description. “He may be small, but he made a big difference by warping in a critical pylon during the retaking of Aiur. As the bravest of probes, Probius is eager to fulfil his purpose in the Nexus.” What the blurb is referring to there is a battle shown off in this cinematic StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void trailer.
Here’s a heartwarming introduction video.
A character entry on the HOTS‘ Battle.net page serves to outline all of Probius’ abilities:
Hero Trait (D): Warp in Pylon
- Warp in a Pylon that generates a Power Field and grants vision of the surrounding area. Probius only regenerates mana while inside a Power Field. Up to 2 Pylons can be active at a time.
Q ability: Disruption Pulse
- Fire a burst of energy forward, dealing 150 damage to all enemies it passes through. Hitting the center of a Warp Rift will cause it to explode, dealing additional damage.
W ability: Warp Rift
- Open an unstable Warp Rift at a location that takes 1.25 seconds to arm, which then slows nearby enemies by 20% lasting 9 seconds. Armed Warp Rifts explode when hit by Disruption Pulse, dealing 261 damage to nearby enemies.
E ability: Photon Cannon
- Warp in a Photon Cannon that deals 95 damage per second. Lasts for 11 seconds. Must be placed within a Pylon’s Power Field. Deactivates if it doesn’t have a Pylon powering it.
Heroic abilities (R):
- Pylon Overcharge: Increase the size of Pylon power fields and allow them to attack enemies within it for 110 damage per second. Lasts 10 seconds. Passive: Pylons gain permanent Shields equal to 50% of their max Health.
- Null Gate: Project a barrier of negative energy in the target direction that lasts 4 seconds. Enemies who touch the barrier take 64 damage per second and are slowed by 80% for as long as they remain in contact with it.
Since Probius basically just floats everywhere, he won’t be able to use mounts. Instead, he’s passively 10% faster than other heroes, but when it counts, he can use Worker Rush (Z) to gain a 50% movement speed buff that lasts for five seconds.
Most of these abilities (and a new mount called the Elemental Stag) can be seen in action in the video below.
No launch date for Probius has been announced yet, but players will be able to try him out in the game’s PTR (public test realm) come 6 March.