Holy crap, you guys! Three days ago, when Blizzard first teased the arrival of the much-anticipated Doomfist, I figured it’d probably be a while before we’d get any kind of real announcement. I was so, so wrong.
Blizzard’s blown the lid off the whole thing and officially made every Overwatch fan’s day by finally unveiling the mighty Doomfist. Accompanying the reveal is a cool animated short and a developer update video to hype up the new hero. Oh, and he’s already playable in the PTR (Public Test Realm). HYPE!
Akande Ogundimu, or Doomfist for short, “is determined to plunge the world into a new conflict that he believes will make humanity stronger”, explains his character bio. “A highly intelligent and charismatic figure, Ogundimu helped to expand his family’s business and position it for the future while dedicating his free time to his first love: competitive martial arts.” Unfortunately, he lost his arm during the Omnic Crisis, and could no longer compete. At some point, he was approached by the second Doomfist, whom he eventually killed in order to take his title and the gauntlet that came with it.
Full details on the hero’s origins can be found here. Check out his official animated short below. Spoiler: it’s awesome.
Doomfist is an offense character with a difficulty rating of three stars, and his “cybernetics make him a highly-mobile, powerful frontline fighter”. “In addition to dealing ranged damage with his Hand Cannon, Doomfist can slam the ground, knock enemies into the air and off balance, or charge into the fray with his Rocket Punch. When facing a tightly packed group, Doomfist leaps out of view, then crashes down to earth with a spectacular Meteor Strike.”
His abilities (as listed via his character overview) are as follows:
- Hand Cannon: Doomfist fires a short-range burst from the knuckles of his fist. Its ammunition is automatically regenerated over a short time.
- Seismic Slam: Doomfist leaps forward and smashes into the ground, knocking nearby enemies toward him.
- Rising Uppercut: Doomfist uppercuts enemies in front of him into the air.
- Rocket Punch: After charging up, Doomfist lunges forward and knocks an enemy back, dealing additional damage if they impact a wall.
- The Best Defence…: Doomfist generates temporary personal shields when he deals ability damage.
- Meteor Strike: Doomfist leaps into the sky, then crashes to the ground, dealing significant damage.
Here’s Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan on just how badass the new hero is, and how to properly utilise his powerful abilities:
If you can’t wait for the new champ to be added to the game, you can try him out on the PTR before he inevitably gets nerfed. The latest PTR patch also includes a host of tweaks and updates to loot boxes, highlight options, custom games, the game browser and the user interface, as well as the usual bug fixes. Check out the full patch notes here.