I’m so sick of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds. I’m sick of hiding in nondescript attics with nothing but an empty revolver, a shiny biker helmet, and a feverish prayer. I’ve had it up to here with hiding behind hulking bales of hay and hoping everyone else dies before I do. Most of all, if one more person kills me with a car, I’m giving my Xbox One to a homeless person to use as a guest room (I’ve still got the OG Xbox One, that bloody great monolith of a thing that could easily house a small family within its plastic walls). With that in mind, I’m especially thrilled to hear that the latest PUBG patch for the Xbox One version goes some way to make vehicular manslaughter less alluring by increasing weapon damage to vehicles and lowering the damage done to you when you’re torn asunder by a poorly textured 2.4L Dacia Dogbreath or whatever it is.
I’m clearly not the only person who’s fed up with being mowed down by strangers, as the latest patch’s gameplay tweaks focus exclusively on this aspect of the game. Grenades do more damage to vehicles, wheels are now more vulnerable to gunfire, and if you’re the bastard driving the car or just an equally sadistic passenger – a sphincter by proxy, if you will – you will now take more damage when crashing into things. Things like the bale of hay I’m hiding behind. And then, when those miscreants do manage to prong you on the front bumper of an Escort-esque thing that looks like it was modelled by an eight-year old using Google SketchUp (can you tell I’m not blown away by PUBG’s visual aspects?), the impact will cause a little less damage to you than it did before.
There are bug fixes and optimisation things going on here too, so read on for the patch notes in full, as posted on the PUBG reddit:
- We’ve listened to your feedback and further modified the damage players can inflict on vehicles, increasing areas of vulnerability. This includes:
- Increased damage to the vehicle body, and significant damage to the wheels when targeted with gunfire
- Increased vehicle damage when successfully targeted with a grenade
- Both driver and passenger will suffer increased injuries from crashing into objects or other vehicles (Dacia, UAZ, and Buggy)
- Slight reduction to player damage when being struck by a vehicle
- Continued optimization to controller input lag
- Visual quality of reticle is improved (Red Dot, Holographic, and 2x Sight)
- Resolved issue where inventory may highlight the wrong column when looting
- The sensitivity setting for 4x Scope is now also applied to the permanent scope on the VSS
- Auto-run (double-clicking the left stick) is disabled when aiming down sights
- Players can now use the D-Pad while in the map view without switching melee, pistol, or throwing weapons
- Removing the marker from the map when pressing (Y) will no longer switch primary/secondary weapons
- Fixed issue where the crosshair is not correctly displayed after players reconnect to a game session
Right, now, if you’ll all excuse me, I’m going to go home to wreak some revenge. In the game, obviously.