PDA

View Full Version : Where does it hurt when you get stressed?

Kensei
10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Ok, I know, its a random topic.

I recently made a, potentially, life-altering decision which has left me with an amount of emotional turmoil and, consequently, stress. The details don't matter, nor do I think that it is right for me to relate my personal life to people on a forum :P

So my question to the NAGlings is where does it hurt on your body when you are stressed?

I'll start,
When I am under extreme stress my middle of my back starts to hurt. Usually either like a spear has been driven into it or a hot hand is squeezing it tight. It usually originates in the middle of my shoulders and is utterly horrid to have since there is no easy exercises to relieve the stiffness.

For example, for lower back pain you can stretch forwards and backwards, as well as twist to relieve such tension. Shoulders too can be rotated and stretched. But when the son-of-a-bitch pain is the middle of your back, the only way to relieve it is to sit down on the floor and slouch [Not really work appropriate behaviour]

My friend, when he is stressed, says that its his knees that take the punishment. He considered at one point buying a walking stick to compensate for this pain, instead he quit his job - the pain all but disappeared :D

So, what is your story?

wisp
10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Chronic headaches and neck pain when i am stressed

Cleric
10-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Lower back and shoulders.

Q-Man
10-07-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't stress. If I do, I feel as if I have failed at life. Hasn't happened yet.

Gambit
10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
My temples start throbbing with some mild pain and sometimes I can feel like pang in the lower middle of my chest. Doesn't happen too often though.

Gambit
10-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't stress. If I do, I feel as if I have failed at life. Hasn't happened yet.

I assume you are not employed full time yet?

brazed
10-07-2008, 04:29 PM
What, q failing at life hasn't happened yet? Hah.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

haha.

hah.

Anyway, when I stress, nothing aches, I just get tired easily. My energy gets sapped.

-StormcroW-
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Stress? What is this strange... thing... you speak of :p

Q-Man
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I assume you are not employed full time yet?

I was thrown into the deepend the last place I worked, where I practically had to run my Boss' business while he went gallivanting around London. It didn't stress me out, only annoyed me greatly. But no, you're right, I'm not currently employed full time (unless you count being features editor of a student newspaper 'work' - seeing as I don't get paid to chase after people and meet deadlines, I don't think it counts).

If I get a job that stresses me to the point of physical pain, I will reconsider my career choices, as I find stress to be one of the most wasteful experience anyone can have.

If I'm going to put myself in an early grave, it'll be because I got too close to the rabid turtles, not because I've been stressing myself silly over something.

ioiiooio
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
If I've had a stressful day I don't know which part of me doesn't ache, it's horrid cos I can't get comfortable even if I'm lying down. I'm hoping one day I'll marry a massage therapist or something one day.

Also if I'm REALLY stressed or frustrated I start perspiring around my forehead, the problem is it feels like I'm sweating pins. >_<

Bonezmann
10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, yesterday when I went to write my Learners test, we were walking up some stairs in real reality TV style :D I started getting this cold/steel pain in between my lungs, I have no idea how to explain it. It's a real sharp pain, yet it reminds me of a piece of metal. :)

george
10-07-2008, 04:41 PM
When I am under extreme stress my middle of my back starts to hurt. Usually either like a spear has been driven into it or a hot hand is squeezing it tight. It usually originates in the middle of my shoulders and is utterly horrid to have since there is no easy exercises to relieve the stiffness.
I get that as well. Mine feels like a nerve got caught between vertebrae. It is at exactly that spot where you can't reach. If I twist my torso a bit too fast, the pain moves to the front of my chest.

Other than that: neck and shoulders.

Then I fail at life every damn day. Don't know why, but I'm constantly stressed.

CrashHelmut
10-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Stress? I run on stress.

If my back muscles aren't pulled into tight knots I will flop forwards like a rag doll and hit my head onto the desk.

OK, not really. But there is something about working hard when the stress is high and the deadline is looming. Although, I can't keep it up indefinitely, it is often rejuvenating to go through a period like this now and then.

Oh yes, topic: Back muscles, especially my right shoulder (mouse hand).

Dakota
10-07-2008, 05:28 PM
the back of my neck and shoulders get really sore and tight when i get stressed, usually because i sit hunched over my keyboard :/ really bad habit to get into.
But i don’t stress all that often, not unless theres a really important deadline looming.. and recently because my drivers license is around the corner (Saturday morning to be exact -*gulp)

Kensei
10-07-2008, 05:46 PM
In a way, I wish my stress was work related right now :(

Retic
10-07-2008, 05:54 PM
When I get all stressed up. my Shoulder and neck muscles feel like they are about to break my neck... when I'm stressed I just wanna be left alone and I get that Empty feeling in my Stomach. but cool thing is I love the feeling of time slowing or going faster than usual during stressful situations. kinda like Time lapse

Playing games while stressed helps... but not if its competitive...

MrDeVil_909
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
In my previous job I used to stress, but never really suffered from physical pain as a result. It was more a case of feeling down and lethargic. Sometimes I would get a tension headache, but that is pretty rare.

In life I don't really suffer with stress much.

Graal
10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I've never felt physical pain or anything from stress, but ok, I'm still at school. Although if I stress I have the nasty tendancy to say things I regret later on.

Jub Jub
10-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Same As Kensei but i also get a stiff neck and my Shoulder Blades sometimes hurt depending on the pain. Anyway Stress is important you need some from time to time

Aesir
10-07-2008, 11:08 PM
My neck :/ .

Sh4d0w Slay3r
10-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Sharp pain in my chest.

Toi
11-07-2008, 08:34 AM
I can sometimes (actually most of the time) stress a lot but I've never felt any physical pain. The only thing that can happen is that like brazed I feel heavily drained.

Gazza_N
11-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Depends on the degree. At best, tightening of the chest. At worst, I get the full-on Fight or Flight response - tight chest, dissociation, perspiration, hyperventilation, etc, blah.

I am a strange man.

dammit
11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm going to sound odd here, but what the hell. When I'm stressed, my kidneys hurt. Often my adrenal glands (located around/above/not sure the kidneys which happen to produce most/all stress hormones) swell and I think this is what makes my kidney area feel uncomfortable.

Kensei
11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
its possible that the pain can occur anywhere - ranging from the common stiff neck to a nervous twitch in the eye :P

CorDa
11-07-2008, 03:38 PM
my heart feels constricted and I struggle to breath. All my muscles tense up and my fingers feel like the slightest touch could break them.

I feel like a stick person.

dammit
11-07-2008, 06:34 PM
its possible that the pain can occur anywhere - ranging from the common stiff neck to a nervous twitch in the eye :P

I learnt that through experience, I just know that my "symptom" of stress is unusual because most people experience their pain elsewhere.

EtienneK
11-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I'm one of those people that hurt on weird places as well... *whistles*

Chainsaw
11-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Lower back and hips.

L0S
11-07-2008, 11:31 PM
The neck starts to hurt. or my shoulder hurts.

Raven Gold
12-07-2008, 01:11 AM
i feel a massively painfull cramp in my foot. like im standing and clamp is placed across my foot from side to side and is squezed, along with a main of feeling like my foot is being pulled across the length.

Nferno
12-07-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't feel pain when I'm stressed. Just get aggro and irritated very easily and feel drained after stressful event has passed.

Antharias
12-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't suffer from any physical pains but am the same as Nferno when it comes to being short tempered and aggrevated easily.

TriggerHappy
12-07-2008, 12:44 PM
When I get stessed i get extremely sleepy, which is a bad thing at exam time. :/