User Tag List

Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1245

Thread: Desktop Dungeons

Default Re: Desktop Dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by dislekcia View Post
    but there's no art in the game at all yet ;)
    Hey I remember the first art DD had it was totally crappy but the game was still awesome :))

Also I just want to make sure I got this straight, this new complete version of DD, I will be able to play this on my PC (no pesky consoles involved :P)?
    Last edited by salejemaster; 27-08-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Game.Dev Moderator
    and bettar-rar game developer than Wea-sel
    Gamertag: dislekcia

Quote Originally Posted by salejemaster View Post
    Hey I remember the first art DD had it was totally crappy but the game was still awesome :))

Also I just want to make sure I got this straight, this new complete version of DD, I will be able to play this on my PC (no pesky consoles involved :P)?
    PC and Mac, yes.

iPhone/iPad/Android eventually too.

PC and Mac, yes.

iPhone/iPad/Android eventually too.
    ZOMG, YES. I had two wishes for Desktop Dungeons: A gauntlet mode, and Android release.

I'm an avid DotA player, and Desktop Dungeons is the perfect length to play while waiting for DotA games to start / fill. Gauntlet mode should ensure it never gets boring.

But now I'll have to start saving for when you guys do an Android release. I'm going to need a lot of spare batteries for my phone...

Game.Dev Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by varuka View Post
    ZOMG, YES. I had two wishes for Desktop Dungeons: A gauntlet mode, and Android release.

I'm an avid DotA player, and Desktop Dungeons is the perfect length to play while waiting for DotA games to start / fill. Gauntlet mode should ensure it never gets boring.

But now I'll have to start saving for when you guys do an Android release. I'm going to need a lot of spare batteries for my phone...
    Never thought of playing between games like that... Maybe we should do a WoW menu version as well! ;)

very kewl btw ^_^, i mst say i thoroughly enjoyed it, or i should say, am thoroughly enjoying it :P, only thing it lacks is some pretty torchlite style UI (minus torchlites crap cartoon font).

Game.Dev Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Freekybevis View Post
    very kewl btw ^_^, i mst say i thoroughly enjoyed it, or i should say, am thoroughly enjoying it :P, only thing it lacks is some pretty torchlite style UI (minus torchlites crap cartoon font).
    Yeah, the whole front end is changing drastically to accommodate the meta-game and make more sense. We're still getting to the point where we can test that, but I seriously hope it's something players are going to enjoy.

hi

my LEMMISI or whatever costs no mana

that seems like a bug so I am reporting it

maybe this is addressed already in this thread but the thread is full of spoilers so I can't read it without damaging my game experience and it's a good game that deserves not to be damaged

bye

Game.Dev Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bananadine View Post
    hi

my LEMMISI or whatever costs no mana

that seems like a bug so I am reporting it

maybe this is addressed already in this thread but the thread is full of spoilers so I can't read it without damaging my game experience and it's a good game that deserves not to be damaged

bye
    Yup, been covered ;) Lemmisi is costing mana, it's just revealing 3 squares so it's giving you back 3 mana as well. That's important - try using it with a Berserker. Glad you're enjoying the game!

Since there's no high score table for Gauntlet mode, I'll continue my bragging here - just cleared level 10 on my first try, still using a Human Sorcerer, killing the Tower of Goo with several mana potions to spare.

Actually, so far it seems like Gauntlet mode's difficulty doesn't scale as fast as it should, as each new level has only been marginally tougher than the last. A higher level is sometimes easier than the previous, just because of a different boss or different items. For example, Super Meat Man gains toughness far more quickly than most of the bosses, because his sky high HP translates to a huge boost from the modifier; Medusa and Gharbad hardly get any harder because their far lower HP doesn't increase nearly as much and most of their challenge comes from instakill attacks that are pretty much already maxed out. (Plus, once the modifier gets high enough, Aequitas and eventually Lord Gobb will have enough attack power to instakill most adventurers, obsoleting their comrades' abilities.) Perhaps the modifier should increase more rapidly, or include a linear stat boost as well (e.g. +100 HP to the boss for every level, regardless of its base HP).

After level 15 or so the gauntlet gets heavily luck oriented. I'm currently trying to clear level 20 and most of the time it's impossible. For example the meat man has some 1700 or so hitpoints. If I get him I usually just quit. From level 15 to 18 I cleared with vampire and that was relatively easy. from 18 to 20 I have gone with an orc assasin worshipping pactmaker. The extra xp is essential 'cause most of the time all higher level monsters are unbeatable. I think that with the right combination of shops and weak boss I could make it to at least few levels higher, but all the restarting is getting frustrating. What I would hope would be the possibility to choose the difficulty so that I could go back few levels and play games that are difficult enough but still mostly winnable, and when feeling like it, try to beat my best so far.
    Last edited by Tormendez; 15-09-2010 at 12:18 PM.

So I just beat lvl 45 in the Gauntlet and I'm wondering what the highest other people have gotten so far is. For a while it seems like it's been unbeatable as anything but a vampire. The lvl 1 monsters at lvl45 Gauntlet are actually stronger than their lvl2 counter parts in normal. As far as I can tell one of the major deciding factors in whether I can beat the next Gauntlet level is how much of the dungeon I can explore before actually having to cast a spell or kill anything. While Pactmaker isn't mandatory, it's usually what tips the scale to a doable dungeon. The amulet of yendor I think it's called (+50xp) can substitute; or the orb of zot; occasionally I can do without any of these if I get a nice combination of attack items from the shops (fine sword/spoon/dwarven gauntlets/+50% attack (berserker's blade I think) -- not that you need all of those together). Iron man is pretty much impossible at this point; considering almost all the monsters 1hit kill you the fireball is the only hope and Iron man just shuts that down too easily. The goat boss (forget the name) is still doable though since he still doesn't have that much health (a little under 600 I think at this point). Meat man is also almost impossible, with over 3000 hitpoints I need to be really lucky to be able to take him down.

Game.Dev Moderator

Hot damn you guys are getting into gauntlet mode in a big way! Thanks for helping us find the really over the top imbalances in the system :)

Any chance of some runs at high gauntlet levels appearing on Youtube soon? I'd love to see how those play out, even "failed" runs... Do you guys mill a lot, or are you changing up general strategies like exploring as much as possible and using level buffering almost exclusively to regen?

I don't really know how to record > put up a video of a gauntlet run but I can describe stuff. At this point it's hard to have the spare health to work down a higher level monster, level to heal, and finish off said monster. I usually only can afford to do that on a few monsters on the way up. There are two essential resources for my vampire on my high level gauntlet runs: 1) low level monsters without first strike that I can kill in one hit (this both gets me more health to cast fireball with as well as resets the amount of health used by casting fireball back to six); 2) bloodpools that are also adjacent to unexplored dungeon tiles (stepping on these essentially has the same effect as #1, most importantly resetting the casting cost of fireball to six). Most of my failed runs that are very close (I have plenty of runs that aren't close; i.e. I give up before even bothering to hit the boss for a variety of reasons) tend to be close because I ran out of those two resources and as such continuously burning down the boss with fireball starts costing my vampire up to 12+ health each cast.

As a side note the only two gods remotely useful at this point are pactmaker (for the experience boost) or glowing guardian (for the full heal on joining). Jehora Jeheyu taking away first strike from the vampire is too brutal (although I will occasionally take Jehora if the other two are not available and I can regain first strike after joining Jehora by buying a dancing sword). Taurog and Binlor make the primary damage dealer of the vampire (fireball) too scarce a resource to use so they're out. Dracul taking away health is too brutal as you need as much health as you can get for casting fireball. Tikki Tooki doesn't have anything useful as bonuses (unless that extra 40gold is really necessary). Mysteria is just out of the question as is Earthmother.

Simba Chippit rawrs with flavour.
    Master of Ceremonies.
    Gamertag: ChippitSA Steam ID: Chippit Wii Code: 3663 1338 9892 3944

And this, my fellows, is why you need to pull a Valve and incorporate stat-tracking into your game yourself. Ask people to share the output, everyone wins! Honestly, Nandrew. Such an amateur! :P

Game.Dev Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Zikky View Post
    There are two essential resources for my vampire on my high level gauntlet runs: 1) low level monsters without first strike that I can kill in one hit (this both gets me more health to cast fireball with as well as resets the amount of health used by casting fireball back to six); 2) bloodpools that are also adjacent to unexplored dungeon tiles (stepping on these essentially has the same effect as #1, most importantly resetting the casting cost of fireball to six).
    Awesome! Never thought of blood next to unexplored blocks like that before, thanks for sharing that :)

It's funny that the Vampire becomes most useful in something like Gauntlet again, he's always been pushing the under/over-powered line. The increasing cost of spellcasting was supposed to bring him back to normal levels again, but I really like how you're gaming that ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippit View Post
    And this, my fellows, is why you need to pull a Valve and incorporate stat-tracking into your game yourself. Ask people to share the output, everyone wins! Honestly, Nandrew. Such an amateur! :P
    In the Unity version we already track every single event in the game... Exactly how much of that we keep depends on how robust the high-score system needs to be to kill the hacking we've been having problems with so far.

Hi, I love this game, it's a lot of fun. I didn't like looking at color-shifted versions of the sub classes so I made sprites for all of them, using Derek Yu's originals as a template, so they fit in with the originals. All you have to do is unzip them into the "default" tileset directory, or copy the "default" tileset and rename it, then unzip it into there. Feel free to use them for whatever you want.

Here is the file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g2u51m4wwb5zocf

And a preview:

Game.Dev Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by whamzow View Post
    Hi, I love this game, it's a lot of fun. I didn't like looking at color-shifted versions of the sub classes so I made sprites for all of them, using Derek Yu's originals as a template, so they fit in with the originals. All you have to do is unzip them into the "default" tileset directory, or copy the "default" tileset and rename it, then unzip it into there. Feel free to use them for whatever you want.

Here is the file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g2u51m4wwb5zocf

And a preview:

Whoa, that's awesome! Thank you so much.

Would you be ok with me putting this on the site and including it in the freeware download?

Whoa, that's awesome! Thank you so much.

Would you be ok with me putting this on the site and including it in the freeware download?
    Thank you! Sure, definitely yes, you are welcome to include it, I'm honored at the suggestion! If you want to add credit, my name is Brian Bugh. I'm just glad to help :)

Game.Dev Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by whamzow View Post
    Thank you! Sure, definitely yes, you are welcome to include it, I'm honored at the suggestion! If you want to add credit, my name is Brian Bugh. I'm just glad to help :)
    Thanks, I was going to ask your name so that I could credit you :)

Game.Dev Moderator

Just finished entering DD into the 2011 IGF. That's a personal milestone for me :)

Aaaand there's a new version. Minor cosmetic changes and a couple of bug fixes, no new gameplay I'm afraid... That's all going into the full. Would love to have that up on the IGF FTP server right now, but it's not quite pretty enough. Yet ;)