User Tag List

Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Dungeons

Default Re: Desktop Dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by Nandrew View Post
    With regards to general issues about balance and tweaking: definitely taking this advice into account. The religion system, for one, looks like it's going to enjoy *another* revamp (trying to move a little further away from extremes / luck) and I want to try see about either buffing or entirely replacing the weaker glyphs: basically want to eliminate cases of "and you'd better hope you get item/god/glyph X" so that skilled players can find multiple ways of dealing with a given situation.
    Have you checked out the brainstorming section of the wiki?

Oh gosh.. man I felt so lucky. Dodging the last boss 4 times with Rogue in the Crypt, where each hit could've meant the end. 20% base + 20% (shop) evasion is just great.

@Pumpkinburger: I really like those and got to be in the next version.. :>

Hey, awesome new sprites! I don't know if I'll go as far as putting a male/female switch into future character selection (kinda liking the sex neutrality idea), but maybe I could randomly switch between the variants when players start a new dungeon. I'll consider making these a part of the default tileset in future, with your permission.

@DGM: The brainstorming section is a good source of inspiration, yes. It's also MUCH easier to look at than a whole bunch of forum pages. :P I check up there regularly, even if I don't comment on it. Really nice to see how quickly that wiki has grown, btw.

Also, next post has one or two important announcements which may affect quite a few of you. There will be capital letters and stuff.

Can I make a feature request ?

A way to filter the classes who beat the dungeons in the main menu.
    For example, when you move the mouse cursor to a dungeon (Normal, Snake Pit, etc), display something ("*", ...) next to the classes with whom you already beat it. It's a bit tedious to move the cursor on the classes and read "already completed" or "NOT completed").

Okay, so here's two things that people need to know:

(1) One Noah Kantrowitz has built us a Desktop Dungeons version for Macs. I can't actually test this out because I don't actually own a Mac. Could somebody give this a run and see that it doesn't crash / whine / make their computer blow up? Then I can list it as an official download.

(2) We've heard a recent announcement about the forum's domain name change, which could obviously shake things up a little in terms of hard links, bookmarks and other Internet wizardry. If this forum goes down for a few days, or you get a redirect message of some kind, you'll hopefully know what's going on. QCF doesn't control the NAG forums, but we'll be doing everything we can to make sure that this transition goes smoothly. In the meantime, make sure that your friends are aware of the potential shake-up, and keep in mind that the Wiki, the QCF website and the direct download link will all still maintain their integrity.

Ta.

Actually I've misread....My bad.

// The box.net download link is out of bandwidth...

Ohoo! Nevermind the following post! All hail the official host! XD

__________________________________________________ ___
    I've uploaded the file to several mirrors but they are mostly in Chinese... Here's one that has an English interface.

http://www.rayfile.com/en/files/3ce1...-0015c55db73d/
    (Click "To Download Page" on the right hand side then the "Download" button in the next page)

Similarly...
    http://www.brsbox.com/filebox/down/f...840b18ff9e55fe
    (Click the button with the green arrow on the right hand side then the download icon in the next page)

http://d.namipan.com/d/86d520e8ed608...c1cc7c6b9c2d00
    (Click the link with "http" in it then the big blue button in the next page)

Not that you'll need all those, but anyway... :P
    Last edited by fall_ark; 15-03-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Bug or intended feature (to stop stacking the good bonuses) ?
    Warlord, below 50% HP (==> DETERMINED gave me +30% dmg on next attack), I used the +30% dmg rune, the dmg displayed did not change.

@iceblademush: the only other tile I've touched is the blood puddle, which I've made slightly transparent. It doesn't fit in as well with the 8-bit look, but it makes the blood tiles more subtle. I'm planning to try my hand at some more hero sprites and maybe the dungeon tiles. The monsters are fine the way they are I think, and it would get veteran players all confused if I changed them all around suddenly. :)

Aforementioned blood tile:

Hey, awesome new sprites! I don't know if I'll go as far as putting a male/female switch into future character selection (kinda liking the sex neutrality idea), but maybe I could randomly switch between the variants when players start a new dungeon. I'll consider making these a part of the default tileset in future, with your permission.
    Heck yes you have my permission! I posted those so people could use them, and that includes the game developer. XD
    Last edited by Pumpkinburger; 15-03-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Why is the mac version so big (32megs).
    I might download it later to see how it looks though.

@Shadow_Con: Not too sure, I reckon it's probably the Wine aspect. I've not actually had any hand in making it, so for now I'm just advertising the download for anybody who is desperate to play it on a Mac. :) I just wish that the GM for Macs project would come out of private beta and step into the market proper, t'would be most useful.

@Grumpf: Thanks, I'll investigate both points.

Also, yes! Box.net has hit its bandwidth limit for the month. EEK! Fortunately, QCF has decided to host the game on its own site, so grabbit here if needed: http://www.qcfdesign.com/Files/Deskt...geons_0051.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinburger View Post
    @iceblademush: the only other tile I've touched is the blood puddle, which I've made slightly transparent. It doesn't fit in as well with the 8-bit look, but it makes the blood tiles more subtle. I'm planning to try my hand at some more hero sprites and maybe the dungeon tiles. The monsters are fine the way they are I think, and it would get veteran players all confused if I changed them all around suddenly. :)

Hi, Yes i know what you mean, i tried to keep the monsters almost identical to the original original tile set. However i did start working on quite a different looking tileset that has shading and textures, i might finish work on it and just throw it out there to see what people think. :)

@fall_ark: Just noticed the mirrors you've set up. Thanks for the assist, I'm trying to get the game up onto a few other mirrors (QCF, Dev.Mag) so that the bandwidth can be spread about while still keeping my version control and stat tracking luxuries. ;)

@fall_ark: Just noticed the mirrors you've set up. Thanks for the assist, I'm trying to get the game up onto a few other mirrors (QCF, Dev.Mag) so that the bandwidth can be spread about while still keeping my version control and stat tracking luxuries. ;)
    DD is a hit in the Chinese game community I dwell in too, and I feel good being the one introducing your fine game to them! :D

Some curious spectators do wish for a localized/translated version though... Shame I don't know better ways to promote the game than translating the wiki/writing introductions...><

I made some more hero sprites for anyone's use.

In order or appearance: knight, crusader, barbarian, monk, bald monk, sorcerer, mage

(edit: the ninja was so sneaky I even forgot to list him)

Agreed, localisations would be pretty nice. I'll probably sort out translations *much* later down the line, when the project looks closer to completion. There's still too many things that will have to change at this stage. ;)

Also, thought I'd put in a quick mention here: The NAG forum will most likely be undergoing a move to a new domain soon. As a result, most direct links to this thread will break. Everybody please point directly to the game page at our site for all media-related mentions. Thanks. :D

Many thanks for Desktop Dungeons that i only discovered 2 days ago.
    Couldn't stop playing this awesome "coffee break" rogue-like, losing and retiring hundred of characters in just a few hours ;)

And of course some plead for help in face of this ingenious masterpiece :

Obviously with the random generation nature, there are lot of luck involved.
    I have read many hints, the wiki and strategy help to try to beat at least one boss.
    I managed to do that only with the human warrior after countless failures, and the boss was the wizard one (Aequitas), i was very happy when it occured and apparently unlocked by doing this some goodies and more monsters.

But to be honest it involved an insane amount of luck in regards to the dungeon layout and how the monsters were placed, and i only managed to beat it only after drinking all my heal (and mana for the fireball before attacking) potions, and the last hit was me surviving death (warrior trait).
    I can't even imagine how it is possible to beat just that boss regularly with the other default characters.

And the one puzzling me the most is the "super meat man".
    Tthis one is not hard, it is just absurdly impossible, how it is even possible to drain half of the huge stock of hit points ? there is not enough potions and black tiles to explore (or reveal with the glyph) to be able to take him down with the 900+ hit points it has.
    Maybe after more unlock there may be some items helping there, but at the point i am i see absolutely no solution at all, is this a joke boss or is there really a way to defeat that kind of boss ?
    I read on some strategy hint that you can petrify those bosses, but maybe that's the version i play (latest), but the petrify glyph does not work at all on them, only on the regular monsters (and unlike some hints i read i don't see my xp increasing when using it to destroy a monster).

Any help on how to defeat that kind of boss ? especially now that i notice that every boss hit points are all higher in the normal mode for some reasons, while my warrior is still the same, and the unlocked objects i saw (the poison immunity and the more than extremely rare -20% damage) are not really providing any solid help in that dungeon.

On the snake pit (where the poison immunity would be good, but never appeared at all for me yet), in my most extremely lucky and planned game i only managed to defeat the medusa on the snake pit with a berzerker, but i see no way it could defeat in the same game the Nidhogg considering to defeat the Medusa, already every life and mana potions were exhausted (and i tried to optimise as much as possible my leveling/tile revealing)

So any help to overcome, those to me impossible, obstacles are welcomed.

What an insanely addicting game, can't believe i played that much hours already :D

Hi, I also found this roguelike yesterday and have to say it is brilliant.

However, I have to pretty much agree with Robsoie above me with regards to the insane amount of luck needed to complete a level by killing a boss. It does feel like 8 out of 10 dungeons end with me saying "Well, I never even had a chance in hell to begin with, did I," and pressing Retire. I've also gotten to the point where if I see the super meat man I'll just Retire immediately because what's the point.

Oh well... maybe thats part of the addictiveness? Sort of like a gambling thing? Who knows.

Anyway, just a small request/suggestion if it's possible: Could you please have the game NOT immediately shutdown, quit, and spit you out to desktop without any confirmation upon pressing the escape key? It's happened to me a couple times and is irritating to say the least. Even if the escape key is meant to be the quit key (which I don't see why but whatever), would be nice to have an "Are you sure?" dialogue or something.

Thanks, and congratulations on a stellar game.

I guess the escape key is something like the boss key. But it happened to me too, pressing accidently pressing esc to terminate the message from the boss. This should be refined.

Definitely points which should be considered. I've never really thought of the immediate escape key as a problem, but then again I always pressed it very deliberately to get out of the game quickly! :P Time for a change, I suppose.

I'd argue that the game at lower ranks is quite a bit less dependent on luck than some of the challenge dungeons (as far as I'm aware, veteran players are able to work through "normal" dungeons reasonably easily with most standard classes), but I will of course do my best to tweak the system to lessen the luck aspect over time. I hope to improve map generation, weight items properly and reward players with the ability to choose between as many effective choices as possible instead of hoping for the "prime" build only. The religion system, for example, will probably be re-addressed to make weaker gods more effective, and stronger gods less runaway-crazy. I'm also going to replace some of the weaker glyphs with stronger ones, so that people won't just be hoping for poison and CYDSTEPP all the time.

And if you're struggling, the wiki definitely has some handy tips which, I hope, will be expanded over time ... particularly with individual class and character guides. Knowing all of the tips and tricks and quirks that the veterans exploit is definitely handy if you want to up your win ratio. :)

Definitely points which should be considered. I've never really thought of the immediate escape key as a problem, but then again I always pressed it very deliberately to get out of the game quickly! :P Time for a change, I suppose.
    There's nothing wrong with an immediate exit per se... but you could make it be control-escape or something like that... just something that can't be tapped by accident or absentmindedly... the escape is so ubiquitous as a "close dialog" or "close current menu" that I can see a lot of people tapping it and doh!

Also I appreciate the balance issues and that the game is very young so really I don't hold that kind of thing too much against it. It's still fun :) (Although if certain gods or glyphs are unanimously known as game-winners then that may be an issue... I wouldn't know, yet).