User Tag List

Page 25 of 63 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Dungeons

Default Re: Desktop Dungeons

Wizard/Factory is spoiled on the previous page so if you want, you can look there.
    And ? How does that help killing the bosses ? Its pure luck to kill even one, but two ?

Quote Originally Posted by dislekcia View Post

There's your problem right there. Do the math on how much potential regen you're losing out on ;) The factory is a very fine balancing act, you've got to use everything at your disposal to get through it. For the record, I clocked it first time with an Elf Wizard in testing - but it took me half an hour and was really harrowing, caught myself before I made some pretty big mistakes...
    It's a hell of a balancing act honestly. On my win I did halfling wizard, to get the extra potions. I did a lot of 7,8,9's down to zero, then picked up Mysteria as a god. From *there* I went around merrily nuking to bring up my mana and blast the fark out of meatboy. Theeeen... I ate all the glyphs (after using Cydstep once, and hitting Golem for all the fireballs I could with my mana) renounced Mysty. This brought my attack back, and didn't have any mana potions anyways, just heal potions. From there, I was able to beat him.

-Barely.

Game.Dev Moderator
    and bettar-rar game developer than Wea-sel
    Gamertag: dislekcia

Remember, Factory with a Wizard is the hardest challenge in the game so far. You have to get good at taking down SMB before you go all-out Wizard ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippit View Post
    Yeah, and it's been this way since, well, forever.
    TBH, I don't think that it's really been noticed here in testing: It's actually rather alien to me to attack something from the other side of the map when it's not fully revealed. Also, it's a more complex issue than you'd think, involves path finding too...
    Last edited by dislekcia; 13-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Remember, Factory with a Wizard is the hardest challenge in the game so far. You have to get good at taking down SMB before you go all-out Wizard ;)
    Gotta disagree with you there. I had 10times the problem with Warlord/Library than wizzie/factory.

Monk/snakes was a snap though.

Simba Chippit rawrs with flavour.
    Master of Ceremonies.
    Gamertag: ChippitSA Steam ID: Chippit Wii Code: 3663 1338 9892 3944

TBH, I don't think that it's really been noticed here in testing: It's actually rather alien to me to attack something from the other side of the map when it's not fully revealed. Also, it's a more complex issue than you'd think, involves path finding too..
    Excuses, excuses. :P

Also, it's funny, I clocked the factory the first time myself. Human Wizard. Didn't even use a health potion either. I found it the easiest of all the challenges O_o. Yet I've still not been able to beat Assassin Crypt.
    Last edited by Chippit; 13-03-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Only realised now that I quoted entirely the wrong thing. Duhr.

there. Do the math on how much potential regen you're losing out on ;)
    I was taking the advice given above, where someone said (and IIRC a couple others concurred) that I should explore as much of the map as I can before killing anything when trying this particular matchup. And this seemed to make sense to me, since (unless I am lucky and have APHEELSIC) regen does me no good against bosses anyway, and if I'm using it against high level non-bosses then I'd better not have started fighting the boss yet, in other words, I'd better not be fighting them in order to level up during a boss fight. So basically, regen, it seemed to me, is only good for fighting high level non-bosses prior to the boss fight, which isn't nothing, but (it seemed to me) it isn't much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaradcel View Post
    I feel like a complete idiot. I've got the 13hp, both the blud and fireball runes annnnddd don't know what to do with them. Fireballs followed by blud only take me so far.... It's annoying me because I've been able to finish and unlock every other class so far save this. Haven't had the pleasure of unlocking new races yet though.

P.S. First post, great game! Got a bunch of friends addicted. Was initially frustrated at trying to defeat the bosses till I figured out a few of the tricks to doing so. *Thumbs up so far*

Edit: Of course, if someone would steer me a hint on how I can actually use the blood mage without using that method and actually winning..... *grins wryly* I figured out that the blood pools can be useful for regenning when running out of tiles to uncover but.... they don't really seem to regen quite enough. Or do they..? *DUN DUN DUUNNN*
    I was stumped by those guys' comments for a while as well--until I realized they're not talking about the bloodmage. They're talking about a sorceror using blood-to-power.

Hey,

first of all I've to say, that this game is pretty awesome. I really like the unlockable classes. But while playing Half-Dragon in the factory I was bit confused about some weird behavior. I found it pretty useful poking enemies toward the armored guys decreasing their lives. It worked out quite nicely, except the fact that I cannot kill those guys this way. So I always have to do the final blow on my own and possibly taking some damage which wouldnt happen if I used the first strategy.

regards,
    Stormy

Game.Dev Moderator
    and bettar-rar game developer than Wea-sel
    Gamertag: dislekcia

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Hey,

first of all I've to say, that this game is pretty awesome. I really like the unlockable classes. But while playing Half-Dragon in the factory I was bit confused about some weird behavior. I found it pretty useful poking enemies toward the armored guys decreasing their lives. It worked out quite nicely, except the fact that I cannot kill those guys this way. So I always have to do the final blow on my own and possibly taking some damage which wouldnt happen if I used the first strategy.

regards,
    Stormy
    It's impossible to kill anything using the Half-Dragon's knockback :)

Oh.. my bad then.

@fall_ark: Not sure if vamps doing the health steal on Lemmisi reveal is right. Will talk to Nandrew about it, I'd have guessed that they should only steal when they're close to you, Lemmisi short circuiting that should be a reward for being crafty and using the glyph ;)
    That would be more than surprisingly handy...

Quote Originally Posted by Lekon View Post
    Gotta disagree with you there. I had 10times the problem with Warlord/Library than wizzie/factory.

Monk/snakes was a snap though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippit View Post
    Also, it's funny, I clocked the factory the first time myself. Human Wizard. Didn't even use a health potion either. I found it the easiest of all the challenges O_o. Yet I've still not been able to beat Assassin Crypt.
    There's definitely more luck involved in the special challenges. Or perhaps some Gods are just too powerful in some circumstances....Dracul in the factory and Glowing Guardian in the crypt feel a little cheap...and for everything else, there's Mystera Annur and an elf wizard. :P

While I'm at it, I'd like to make a few more interface suggestions. It would be nice to have hotkeys for potions. I'd also like to be able to use arrow keys to move, which would be helpful when exploring new areas of the map.

Also, I've been working on a modified tileset for the game, and everything seems to be working fine except for replacing the gray brick tile used for the interface panel background. The tile in question appears to be "Wall2.png" but any changes to it do not show up in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by prestige View Post
    Also, I've been working on a modified tileset for the game, and everything seems to be working fine except for replacing the gray brick tile used for the interface panel background. The tile in question appears to be "Wall2.png" but any changes to it do not show up in the game.
    Hmm, I think that's something that, for some reason or another, I cancelled on just before releasing the new version. I got it into my head that because that tile is part of the interface (rather than the dungeon itself) and tends to have a lot of text sitting on it, I wanted to make it consistent across all tilesets. I'll let people change that next version. Though the interface will be switching up anyway, so we'll see.

@Chippit: damn you and your order problems. But yeah, I oughtta start looking at a way to fix that <_< Rather unintuitive, I agree.

And thanks for the commented video, DeSangre!

With regards to general issues about balance and tweaking: definitely taking this advice into account. The religion system, for one, looks like it's going to enjoy *another* revamp (trying to move a little further away from extremes / luck) and I want to try see about either buffing or entirely replacing the weaker glyphs: basically want to eliminate cases of "and you'd better hope you get item/god/glyph X" so that skilled players can find multiple ways of dealing with a given situation.

Simba Chippit rawrs with flavour.
    Master of Ceremonies.
    Gamertag: ChippitSA Steam ID: Chippit Wii Code: 3663 1338 9892 3944

Quote Originally Posted by Nandrew View Post
    @Chippit: damn you and your order problems. But yeah, I oughtta start looking at a way to fix that <_< Rather unintuitive, I agree.
    I'm in ur game, makin' ur life difficult. :P

While you're there, spacebar/enter to dismiss OK-message boxes and pick up items from the floor, pls?

FINALLY unlocked ranked matches after a week of trying to beat a level with Bloodmage. Then figured out I could take out the boss at level 5 with Sanguine. <3

I had the negative experience bug too.
    I was playing Paladin in the Crypt, I'm 100% sure I was wearing the CYDSTEPP rune, it was on (= I was protected).
    I was level 2 or 3, had a lot of +attack bonuses (+40%?) , and was about to kill a level 4 or 5 undead (I had to do a hit and run to regen HP once).
    My last hit killed it, the rune saved me, and I levelled. My experience went to -7 (minus 7). I killed a little monster afterwards and it went to -11.

My boyfriend has asked me to post the modified lady hero tiles I made because he thinks they're awesome. You can save the images and just paste them into a copy of the basic tileset, and rename the folder however you'd like.

In order of appearance: witch, rogue, nurse, valkyrie.

And a Nun variant for those who don't like the nurse:

Last edited by Pumpkinburger; 15-03-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speusippus View Post
    Thanks for the advice about how to do the Factory as a Wizard. I'm just not getting it. To illustrate, I'll show you how I can't make the math work out.
    Don't be so dependant on magic. Halpmeh is probably a considerably more useful glyph than burndayrayz for taking on super meatman and the iron man. Meat man does so little damage (about 40) that if you can heal it very easily. Also, even if you don't find poison, it's possible to win a battle of attrition. If you intend to convert every 2 points of mana to 3*your level points of health, every 2 tiles is 5*your level in healing, and you SHOULD have more attack than super meat man, meaning you have the advantage.

As far as fireball beating a level 9 is concerned, exploring the whole map is a bad idea. I generally follow the logic at the start of fireballing the highest level animated armour that I can see, and whenever I find a higher level than switch to tarrgeting it instead of the one you were targeting. This way you're not wasting experience as much because as well as attacking the highest level as soon as you find it, you've weakened some of the others. Also, it's ok yo kill a level 8 instead of a level 9.

If you want to do damage as a wizard, you want to be human. Gnome might work decently, but I still think human would be best.
    Taurog is ok, but he limits you. Dracul is very effective in this situation, as you can lifesteal a lot of the damage you're taking, reducing the amount of healing necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinburger View Post
    My boyfriend has asked me to post the modified lady hero tiles I made because he thinks they're awesome. You can save the images and just paste them into a copy of the basic tileset, and rename the folder however you'd like.

Marvellous! Love how the nurse changes to the nun with just some colouring...
    I think this could and should be in a future release :P

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinburger View Post

Awesome! :) Did you manage to do any of the tiles too?