User Tag List

Thread: Infinity Ward Staff Sue Activision For $125m

Default Infinity Ward Staff Sue Activision For $125m

Infinity Ward Staff Sue Activision For $125m

A while back, on a slow news day, I wrote a spoof story about there being only one man left at Infinity Ward. I’m started to wonder if it was prophecy. The Modern Warfare developers are rapidly running out of employees as more leave, many to join Respawn Entertainment, the new studio started up by former Infinity Ward top dogs, Vince Zampella and Jason West. The total number of IW employees who have now jumped ship or been pushed, at the time of writing, is 28. That leaves 75 remaining. And now things are getting even more strange, with 38 Infinity Warders, calling themselves the Infinity Ward Employee Group, filing a lawsuit against Activision for up to $125 million.

G4 received a copy of the lawsuit, explaining that the group of IW employees are claiming they’re owed a vast amount in unpaid bonuses after the phenomenal success of Modern Warfare 2. The group is fighting for these royalties, of anything from $75m to $125m. The game, of course, made an incredible $1.1bn in 2009 alone. According to their lawyer,

“Activision has withheld most of the money to force many of my people to stay, some against their will, so that they would finish the delivery of Modern Warfare 3. That is not what they wanted to do. Many of them. My clients’ entitled to their money. Activision has no right to withhold their money — our money.”

The implications of such a claim seem enormous. The lawsuit goes on to use words like “keep the employees hostage”. It’s understood that so far $28m has been paid to Infinity Ward, but according to those suing, 2009 profits still leave another $54m owed to them. The full list of details about where the rest of the money comes from is on G4’s story.

Activision has responded by email to G4, dismissing the lawsuit.

“Activision believes the action is without merit. Activision retains the discretion to determine the amount and the schedule of bonus payments for MW2 and has acted consistent with its rights and the law at all times. We look forward to getting judicial confirmation that our position is right.”

Going through the list of the 38 plaintiffs is interesting. For instance, Jason West and Vince Zampella do not appear. And, of those that do, a surprising sixteen are not amongst those to have quit, and are still currently working at Infinity Ward.

Where this leaves Modern Warfare 3 remains a big question. All four design leads of MW2 are gone, along with two out of three art leads. Both animation leads have left, five out of six who created the story went, and of course the director and CEO. It’s a significant dent out of the team. To keep up with this, be sure to follow Cynical Smirk’s updated coverage.

Whatever the case, it sure is one of the most peculiar gaming stories to have happened, and keeps getting peculiarier.
    rockpapershotgun.com

Who remains at Infinity Ward?

Default Re: Infinity Ward Staff Sue Activision For $125m

At this rate I have my doubts about if there will be a MW3 from Activision and if the lawsuit goes through I doubt they will be able to absorb a $125m and keep paying salaries to staff (if any left).
    Last edited by Kelaids; 28-04-2010 at 03:06 PM.

This is gonna turn into some soap opara. I wonder what Bobby has to say abought this.

Activision won't lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
    Activision won't lose.
    Maybe not, depends what you define as 'lose' cause I can almost promise you there will be an out of court settlement and these guys will each get a couple of million...

I have lost all respect for Activision. Some of those guys worked 18 hours a day for weeks on end without any rest only to be motivated by future financial gain.... and this is what Activision does, its a joke.

Personally I wont buy any future activision games (im sure im the minority) just because I have seen this happen to people and its horrid. The amount of pressure, low to medium grade salaries, no overtime... and its all because they believe they will be rewarded at the end...
    Last edited by sywlyn; 28-04-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Sorry to necro, but since the case is still relevant:

The lawsuit filed by Infinity Ward co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella against Activision on allegations of fraud may go to trial, as a judge has determined there is factual merit to their claims.

On Thursday a Los Angeles Superior Court judge ruled (via The Hollywood Reporter) that there are facts to support the duo's allegations that Activision defrauded the former Call of Duty studio heads by firing them before substantial royalties from Modern Warfare 2 were due.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...o_To_Trial.php

Battlefield 3 looming in the distance and now this? I wonder if Kotick has any hair left to pull?

Nothing to worry about. Most documented cases make it to court.

Nothing to worry about. Most documented cases make it to court.
    Eh, that's true. Activision is probably going to win anyway.

Big companies never lose. Look at Microsoft and the poor people from netscape...

Activision won't lose.
    Activision lost.

You were wrong.

That is all.
    Last edited by Miktar; 01-06-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: #justsayin

Well it was nice knowing Garson007... kinda. :P

In your face, Activision! :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Miktar View Post
    Activision lost.

That is all.
    Glad to know that the big boys can get taken down. Also, Miktar is back?

Quote Originally Posted by Miktar View Post
    Activision lost.

You were wrong.

That is all.
    Well welcome back :P

Yeah I'll have to swallow my words then, where did I put the salt......