User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You know that thing every one of us has secretly been wishing for?

Default Re: You know that thing every one of us has secretly been wishing for?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
    Perhaps television is the wrong medium to begin with. Utilise those same resources to start a web-based show, and I reckon you have a model that stands a far better chance of being successful. Sure, it requires the fanbase having internet connectivity, but you'd also not be limiting viewership to just locally. The key is, this needs to be driven by a team that's passionate about the industry, and not a collective who simply see the show as a means of marketing to a particular demographic. I'm not saying this is what Verge was, just to be clear, but yeah.
    My thoughts exactly. Make it something similar to the Dtoid show but with a South African flavor and there you go!

This is sad. As much as I disliked the delivery of the content, I never wanted the show to end, just improve,

I have to admit, I never watched 1 episode of this program, so can't really comment on the content. My philosophy is, If there is a service you don't like, & you can do better, then do it.

So when is NAG TV starting? :3

Seriously though, I didn't HATE the show, which you may find odd as I was the first complainers, also from what I understand the show is a stock footage show, sent around the world with presenters put in to "localise" it. Again, it was watchable, about 4 games a show, an interview, it was okay but one or twice we'd focus on "babes" and I'd go cross-eyed.

This is one of the reasons I moaned about Pippa, not because she was bad, she was good (though I might have been mean, I apologise) but because I felt as a presenter she could/should question what she's saying. "Lets now look at the hot girls at the race track again". I watched a few episodes, not many, enough to see the different presenters (I liked the black guy the most to be honest, Pippa second, other girl not at all) but whenever there was a "there's boobs, you obviously want to see this" I cringed.

When I watch a Gaming show, I'm wanting to see games. I even struggle through interviews because to me, interviews are pure PR and they've yet to give me insight into how a game will turn out. I miss Cybernet, I'd love to download old episodes of that, or even The CNET Central Show that used to be on Sci-Fi. :(

Whether you liked it or not i see this as a set-back for Game Shows

OMG CYBERNET WENT TILL 2010!? WHY HAVEN'T WE BEEN GETTING IT FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS!? :<
    Last edited by James Donaldson; 29-03-2012 at 10:23 AM.

I didn't hate the show either. I just thought that it was not that good. I would have preferred something like an hour long podcast each week of them talking about games, reading peoples e-mails, questions and giving their opinions on it. I know that IGN has their weekly PS3, Xbox, Gaming and movie podcasts which I listen to each week because I find it really informative and entertaining.

So NAG, when will you be starting with your own podcast? :)

@ James
    I know, it's BS we didn't get it. Also didn't know it ran for like 15 years. Will try to get some episodes, very interested to see what it looked like in 2010.

The vid is still up on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=264461036928541

Just don't venture into the page the vid is posted on. You WILL regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    What happened to shows like Cybernet, back in the 90s that was better production than the Verge.

Stupid Vuzu...
    Cybernet just made me spleee.

Quote Originally Posted by James Donaldson View Post
    So when is NAG TV starting? :3
    OMG CYBERNET WENT TILL 2010!? WHY HAVEN'T WE BEEN GETTING IT FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS!? :<
    ^^ What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    @ James
    I know, it's BS we didn't get it. Also didn't know it ran for like 15 years. Will try to get some episodes, very interested to see what it looked like in 2010.
    im youtubing as we tipe.

edit: I still have 3 tapes of Cybernet it comes down to a total play time of 18 hours (thank God for long Play)
    Last edited by FoX; 29-03-2012 at 12:27 PM.

The Verge.

I think I watched it once. It was crap.

But, South Africa could really do with a proper gaming show, like everyone is saying here. I also think that if NAG has they resources, they would be able to execute it very well, even if it is just a podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
    SURPRISE!

http://mygaming.co.za/news/news/3501...to-an-end.html

I know it's cruel to be glad about an event that cost a lot of people their jobs, but still. The Verge was pretty crap. Now to start holding thumbs that a real gaming show might emerge.
    Stopped watching loooooooong ago, but last time I checked they had trendy black presenters talking about games they know fck all about...actually they knew fck all about gaming.
    Watching them explain and play Dead Space 2 in AMD Eyefinity and 3D was a laugh.

What happened to semi-good looking woman?

Well first they had Pippa, who did the presenting thing very nicely for me. Presenters/actors can only be as good as the show allow them to be. I used to watch the show every night before I go to sleep.

BUT THEN OH THEN, they got this obnoxious, windgat, hyper active, full of himself presenter who knew absolutely ****all about gaming and even less about presenting. I think at one time he even insulted someone who sent in an sms, calling him dumb or something, can't remember exactly. I remember because that was the last night I watched "The Verge", sure later on I happened to see Pippa returned and watched an episode here and there and even saw the whole Rage 2011 thing right on tv, but didn't really care as the show hit rock bottom for me long before that.

So R.I.P "The Verge", I really do hope South Africa gets a better gaming show in the future, and alles.
    /nerdrage
    Last edited by Bonezmann; 29-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.

We have Pippa off the tele, now if only can get her out of NAG too...

And yes, Verge was bad...quite bad.

Who remembers Cybernet?
    Now THAT was an awesome show...

I remember there was a gaming show on ESPN, forgot its name, but it stopped showing too, even it was better than th Verge.

Erm... This leaves a gap though. *Wink/Hint* @ NAG
    Last edited by fleshTRNDstone; 30-03-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fleshTRNDstone View Post
    We have Pippa off the tele, now if only can get her out of NAG too...
    Wait... what? Why?

I have never understood the outright hatred that Pippa gets around here? I didn't like the Verge either but I thought that there was a potential for improvement had they considered the negative feedback in a constructive way. Even if the feedback was destructive in the first place... How the hatred of the show moved to her I don't know.

...indeed. Pippa is an intelligent woman who knows her gaming and loves the industry. Anyone who actually took a few minutes to speak to her could figure that out, but they're too busy throwing petty insults from across the room to do so. I'm sure there's a lot of pop psychology I could rattle off that would explain people's hatred of her, but it's best left alone, frankly.

I haven't really encountered her enough to hate her, seeing as I only watched the Verge a handful of times, but back in the day I found her presenting style to be pretty boring. Not 'teh producers fault' boring, but her tone and attitude.

The few times I've read her column in the NAG I didn't find it interesting or imaginative either. More like something someone would write out of extreme boredom, and something someone else would read only if they had absolutely nothing better to do.

That said, I've only read about 3 or 4 columns, and I've only seen her presenting on a handful of occasions, so it's basically just a superficial impression, but that's my impression of her nonetheless. If anything, she just doesn't interest me. I'd have to see and hear a lot more from here before I can really say whether I like or dislike her.

That's completely fair, as you've encountered her professional front and don't like it. It's those people who "hate" her that I can't figure out.

I don't get the hate either. There wasn't anything she did or didn't do that would warrant that - I think it's just teenagers being their usual 'everything sucks' self.

Mind you, I had a good laugh when she previewed the FEAR 2 demo, live, and then promptly got stuck right at the start before even encountering a single enemy. That was hilarious.

I guess what I'm saying is thanks Pippa, don't take it too hard if there's a bunch of idiots who go overboard. And your tats are pretty cool too.