User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Abbreviated chat ruining Grammar

Default Re: Is Abbreviated chat ruining Grammar

I'm a grammar Nazi at heart (even though I really like semi-colons), but I have to agree with a lot of what Stephen Fry said. I wish the world enjoyed using colourful and expressive language more than it does. Make your Facebook post unique and pretty by saying something unique and pretty, not by replacing the letters of your with hearts, numbers and kittens.

The shortening of words happened because of numeric keyboards and SMS size limits, but SMS's are becoming less and less used and phones are growing real keyboards, txt speak can die now.

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    So, why do you write "high school" with initial capitals? :P
    It... wha... I... :-/ Gawd damn it.

Edit: Can I blame it on Zac Efron?

You want to know what's destroying the english language as a whole?

Arrow to the knee.

It's like, god-****ing-dammit, just ****ing stop. Jesus. It doesn't make you witty to use the meme every chance you get. Stop abusing it.

I might be a sad, angry man, but I really, really hate that meme by now. After hearing it get slipped into a discussion for the 1000th time, I think it's safe to say enough is enough.

:<

Quote Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
    You want to know what's destroying the english language as a whole?

Arrow to the knee.

It's like, god-****ing-dammit, just ****ing stop. Jesus. It doesn't make you witty to use the meme every chance you get. Stop abusing it.

I might be a sad, angry man, but I really, really hate that meme by now. After hearing it get slipped into a discussion for the 1000th time, I think it's safe to say enough is enough.

:<

Just remember: the cake is a lie!

I have yet to actually see the meme that started that whole "arrow-to-the-knee" crap. I met the NPC, I noticed people using that **** here and there and everywhere and I got annoyed simply because I didn't know what the big deal was.

Anyway, as for grammar these days... personally I'm not to bothered when people screw up what they type, even ****-ups like using "of" instead of "have" I just gloss over. Mind you, it's not that I don't bother with it myself, but if I were to get angry every time someone screws up like that I'd just smash screens all day long. I suppose it's a case of where and when. SMS speak annoys the crap out of me, but it has it's place (hint: in an SMS) - if you have a whole keyboard in front of you there's no excuse.

Example: I work at a pretty big tourism company who deals with a bunch of agents from Germany, Italy, the states etc. and we recently found that some of our consultants were using SMS lingo when emailing these agents. What the hell? What kind of an impression are you leaving when your "professional" mail detailing things like tour itineraries, rates and the like reads "Yea we goin wt the nu rtes 4 the upcming mnths."

but then, this was the same guy who insisted that "alot" was a word.
    Dammit! Damn it! The alots are real! Nobody understands. :(
    Last edited by Garson007; 10-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    I have yet to actually see the meme that started that whole "arrow-to-the-knee" crap. I met the NPC, I noticed people using that **** here and there and everywhere and I got annoyed simply because I didn't know what the big deal was.
    The thing is that it was mildly amusing when the meme just started out, keyword being mildly, but now every second person genuinely thinks he/she is being witty by slipping it into discussions every chance possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
    Dammit! Damn it!
    That right there is in itself is an interesting point of lingual evolution :P

I always liked how in Firefly they say "gorram" like it evolved from "god damn".

It was a nice touch.

I saw a nice, fat slogan on a hairdresser's shop in Sunnyside this morning:

Scarlet Hair (with a girl with pitch black hair, ironically)
    Weave got the style for you!

I slightly LOL'ed and remembered this thread.

I try to keep as much grammar and correct writing style when typing/writing/speaking. Sometimes mistakes slip in, considering English is only my third language, and I seriously appreciate being corrected. I love Afrikaans as well, but I hate it when people mix the two.

A weave is a hair term - extensions, fake hair and stuff. It's a pun.

I encountered a similar situation. Was getting my ID, and saw the sign that said "Please have your monies ready".

Found their use of "monies" humorous... until I realized that how it was used by that community. One Money, several Monies.

I qualified as a high school English teacher, and honestly, I was the only person in my whole class who actually knew this stuff. I had to explain finite verbs to a classmate, who I'm quite sure didn't understand it anyway - but then, this was the same guy who insisted that "alot" was a word.
    Alots are totally a real thing, and they're pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Goraan View Post

There's an Alot that features in a pretty cool anime series as well. Who's ever seen Avatar: The Last Airbender?

Quote Originally Posted by Goraan View Post

Dammit! Damn it! The alots are real! Nobody understands. :(
    LttP.

LttP.
    Yeah. Like 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by echo View Post
    Yeah. Like 2 years.
    Don't make me hit you! :P

Doesn't anybody find the irony in this thread, seeing as the title has no punctuation and the OP didn't capitalize his "i" in "I'd"?