User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition against removal of 'Sexual Orientation' from bill of rights

Default Petition against removal of 'Sexual Orientation' from bill of rights

The South African Constitutional Review Comittee is currently entertaining a proposal from the House of Traditional Leaders to scrap "sexual orientation" section from the bill of rights contained in Chapter 2 of the Constitution of South Africa

The SA Constitution reads: “The state may not unfairly discriminate directly or indirectly against anyone on one or more grounds, including race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth.”

The removal of the sexual orienation term will mean SA LGBTI citizens will face rampant homophobic discrimination and in many cases homophobic hate crimes with no recourse, the task team on "corrective rape" will be null and void and the country's strengthening LGBTI community will have to go into hiding.

This proposal goes against the grain of mainstream South African sentiment and is only entertained because of the paternalistic respect within South African traditions which is now being wielded for homophobic purposes by the House of Traditional Leaders.

Nelson Mandela said during his inauguration speach that: ” Never, never and never again shall it be that this beautiful land will again experience the oppression of one by another”"

Let's fulfill his vision!

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR PRESERVING SOUTH AFRICA'S CONSTITUTION, which was an early adopter of gay rights and set a bench mark for equality world wide.

Read more about it:

--> https://oblogdeeoblogda.wordpress.co...tation-rights/

--> http://www.mambaonline.com/article.asp?artid=6906

SIGN NOW!
    Sign here.

Seriously, **** this country we live in. I want out of this ****hole.

Default Re: Petition against removal of 'Sexual Orientation' from bill of rights

Don't worry about stuff that will never happen.

Default Re: Petition against removal of 'Sexual Orientation' from bill of rights

What kind of caveman moron proposes a change like this?

Well I've signed, I couldn't stomach living in a country that would practically encourage discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
    Sign here.

Seriously, **** this country we live in. I want out of this ****hole.
    Signed ,
    This is ****ing bull**** , homophobia at its worst , when will people learn to life and let live .Indoctrination by religion and fear-mongering by the misinformed are alienating , isolating and discrimanting against people .:( Thought we had the best constitution in the world ?,now they want to change it to promote hatred .

This is about as backward a bill as you'll find nowadays. Just... wow.

What is this I don't even.

There is no way any well-reasoned free thinking person would allow this to happen. I doubt this proposal will be entertained for very long.

Signed and posted onto Facebook and Twitter for good measure. Honestly, this is going a bit too far. First BEE, now this crap?

Oh wow I suddenly understand what this is about. I read the title and misunderstood it as "remove the rights of people with different sexual orientation" and was quite shocked to see the answers. Read a little further though, and all I can say now is "LOL". It's a stupid change that will get tossed out by court, should it move that way. Stupid people with stupid ideas.

Also, what echo said.

Signed.

Signed

To be clear the term is for all preferences, that means Straight people would/could get discriminated as well.

To note, I got bullied for "being gay/nerd/***" when I'm not, then years after Highschool, some (more than one) of my antagonists "came out" to the applause of their friends for being "so brave". So though I'm open to sexual preferences I have a...warped view of the discrimination side as I know the discrimination goes all ways.

Geez, been out of Highschool 10 years and it still ****es me off to think about it.

Sorry, I'm just trying to be clear this affects everyone.

^^ You're still a nerd for having such a huge Pokemon crush anyway :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I should be mad at this but I laughed so hard instead >_<

Signed.

I Loled.

So can we then discriminate traditional leaders then? :P
    That's a bad traditional leader ... and I smack him on the head.

First BEE, now this crap?
    Derp.

Anyhow, it's just "traditional leaders" throwing a bit of weight around. Won't change a thing.

Holy ****, I cannot explain just how much this has irked me.

Slightly off-topic, but valid and probably a little reassurance here -

Just read this in the open letter from Mmusi Maimane to those two models with the idiotic tweets:

The new South Africa changed all that. We are free to love whoever we want whether they are of a different race or whether they are of the same gender. Our Constitution guarantees this as an inalienable right.

But this doesn’t mean that my wife and I don’t get stared at when we hold hands in public. And I know that, one day, our daughter will have to deal with racist bigots who can’t accept that her parents don’t have the same skin colour.
    I think we can add to the last part "people can't accept something different".

To be perfectly honest, if someone such as Maimane feels like this, how do you guys think the bill can be passed? He has quite a lot of influence, and I can absolutely promise you he isn't the only one.

Relax a little, it's something blown out of proportion again. Yes, I know it's a sickening gesture, but it's a bunch of old farts who suggested it. SA doesn't belong to only the old farts, you know...

That doesn't mean I'm going to sit back and shut up and not even take notice.

Not in a country where 80% of the population is part of a culture who almost deifies their elders and their wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
    That doesn't mean I'm going to sit back and shut up and not even take notice.

Not in a country where 80% of the population is part of a culture who almost deifies their elders and their wisdom.
    That's not entirely accurate. They defy CERTAIN elders and their wisdom.

I was involved in a debate in a lecture recently about this topic. You wouldn't believe the **** that fell out of my fellow students' mouths.

You wouldn't think that those attitudes could prevail outside some totally isolated, backwards-as-**** society. But they do.