User Tag List

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My experiences with Windows 8 as a consumer

Default Re: My experiences with Windows 8 as a consumer

Microsoft wants to pick up Perceptive Pixel Inc.

Microsoft's venture in to the hardware market with its new Surface tablets was met with much enthusiasm and groaning by the industry in general. Tablet and notebook makers don't like it when a strong player enters the market to rub up the competition the wrong way and you're also their customer - its hard to compete with someone who sets up all the rules int heir own favour. Microsoft being Microsoft, they bought another company to help strengthen their entry into the tablet market and to create an even less fair playing field.

Perceptive Pixel Inc. makes touch screens on larger scales for business use and in large-scale corporate environments. They're the ones who make those gigantic touch screens in use for some weather broadcasts on American TV channels and they were at the Windows 8 Consumer Preview release, where a gigantic 50-inch plus screen was demoed showing Windows 8's Maps application.

Linky

Windows 8 RTM due on August, retailing in October

If you, dear reader, were fidding with the Windows 7 RTM package back in 2009 when the ISO leaked in July, you'll be pleased to know that the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) for Windows 8 is due out in August, with Microsoft giving third-party manufacturers time to iron out everything with their machines before the release in October. Around this time in 2009, most people were buying new rigs and installing Windows 7 in preparation to buy the license when it came out, so if you're figuring Windows 8 into your upgrade plans, you can use the Consumer Preview to get a pretty good idea of how things are going to go for you.
    Linky

Office 2013 Preview is out today, try it out for free

With the introduction of Metro and that large typeface taking up all of the screen in full-screen apps, its a wonder that anyone ever figured that Office would stay the same as to what we're used to. To a large extent is has changed to become Metro and tablet-friendly, but its still the same Office suite you've all grown to know and love (or hate). The new suite has been updated everywhere and does actually look pretty good but once again, the focus is on using Windows 8 and Office in a tablet and touchscreen environment. Forgetting, you know, that most people use a desktop for work.

Linky

It seems pretty much exactly the same as Office 2010. So far I think I'll be skipping the whole new Win8/Office2013/Server2012.

Giblets: Windows 8's launch date is set in stone

Microsoft announced yesterday that Windows 8 will now launch on the 26th of October this year, giving consumers three months to try out the Release Preview to see if they like it and enough time for third-party vendors to finish the final touches on their new devices running the OS. You'll still be able to buy Windows 7 for some time, although no confirmation of when the cut-off date for sales of the outgoing OS will be enforced.
    Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    You'll still be able to buy Windows 7 for some time, although no confirmation of when the cut-off date for sales of the outgoing OS will be enforced.
    Well that sucks!I would like ot eventually upgrade to win7 pro 64 bit ops but not now though and win8 isn't exactly an os I was to rush to...

Quote Originally Posted by maxdamage View Post
    Well that sucks!I would like ot eventually upgrade to win7 pro 64 bit ops but not now though and win8 isn't exactly an os I was to rush to...
    If you want you can buy the Windows 8 Pro pack and then just use the downgrade rights to install Windows 7 Pro. That's always an option.

If you want you can buy the Windows 8 Pro pack and then just use the downgrade rights to install Windows 7 Pro. That's always an option.
    True but I would most likely have to download the default official win 7 64-bit installer from the net which will be impossible.

Windows 8 goes gold, releases to manufacturing this week

As that October release date draws nearer and nearer, the Windows 8 project begins the final stages of closing up the software, removing debugging code and ships off the final images to OEMs and partners who will get access to it first. The build number of the RTM is 9200, although you'll no longer have the version number shown on the bottom-right corner of the screen in desktop mode.
    Linky

So, you can't boot straight to Windows 8's desktop...

Previous builds of Windows 8, specifically the Developer, Consumer and Release Previews (discounting the weekly leaked builds in between) allowed for a script to be applied on start-up that allowed users to boot straight into the desktop of Windows 8, bypassing Metro completely. The functionality was still there if you hit that Windows button but you're no longer forced to use the Live Tiles interface by default.
    Linky

Gammaray, think you're going be interested in this one.

Giblets: Microsoft has some Windows 8 box art for you

With the launch of Windows 8 coming this October on the 26th (purportedly worldwide), there has been a flurry of news of the OS following the August 1st announcement that it has now gone into RTM mode and is seeding to manufacturers and Partners in the various subscription networks. In the meantime while you wait for the release, here's some box art released by the company:

Linky

i reckon people can hate or love windows 8 but fact is because its a new windows everyone will buy it . because in the end , games and stuff will start not being withdows 7 compatable , or a new direct x wont work with windows 7 , or something forcing us to buy windows 8

I think its much less of an issue with Windows 7 than XP, for example. Windows 7 is still so relatively young that it will become the de facto replacement for XP within the next two years in corporate environments. DirectX 11 is still becoming the industry standard so there's not a lot to worry about games-wise. App-wise, most apps made today still run on XP SP3 so the only thing actually forcing users to move to Windows 8 is new computer sales, better hardware support and maybe one or a few vital apps available on the Microsoft store.

Sadly, I may have to upgrade and live with it whether I want to or not. Have to stay abreast with the technology curve, for better or worse.

So, you can't boot straight to Windows 8's desktop...
    Gammaray, think you're going be interested in this one.
    While I completely understand Redmondís reasoning for this, its borderline insane to not give users the option to choose.
    Well, that makes my decision very easy - no Win8 for any of our corporate users, except probably myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaray View Post
    Well, that makes my decision very easy - no Win8 for any of our corporate users, except probably myself.
    I agree, moving from a standardised interface to something like Metro is bad for business. Its too confusing and means that tech support guys will be stretched thin teaching users how to work things out. Its not like its too complicated to understand, but rather people just won't adopt it easily because they're stubborn.

I have my Windows 8 key! I'll be moving onto the OS permanently before the end of the year in order to keep up with everyone else. I'll miss Windows 7 but sometimes change is good.

Microsoft changes the EULA for Windows 8 OEM versions

So if you're building up your own PC, you have to make a choice as to which version of Windows you have to buy. Legally, you're only supposed to load an OEM copy of the software onto a machine with new hardware that you've just bought (motherboard or hard drive) and keep it on that machine only. If your motherboard fries and you put in a new one, the system prompts you to activate it - most people just choose to reactivate it, since the assumption is that they bought the license and that its fine so long as it stays on one machine. Unlike DSP versions, which cannot be re-activated no matter how many times you try to activate it, OEMs can be reactivated so long as they stay on the same machine.

The downside to this is that the full-fat versions, the retail boxes, don't have this limitation in the EULA, yet the software and activation process remains the same. Since many people don't want to pay extra for the boxed copies, they buy the OEM versions to save money and ignore the EULA flat out.

Linky

I did some research.
    Unless Microsoft pulls a few rabbits out of a hat, windows 8 is a utter nightmare to program for mobile and on PC

http://www.os4coding.net/blog/novome...aming-platform
    http://allthingsd.com/20120725/valve...ws-8-and-more/

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ce-is-obsolete
    Last edited by Legion; 26-08-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I did some research.
    Unless Microsoft pulls a few rabbits out of a hat, windows 8 is a utter nightmare to program for mobile and on PC
    I"m not so sure where you come up with that. Care to explain more?

Can't access that link.

Gabe's just moaning because he now has to include Steam in the Windows Store (and pay for that privilege), build a Metro version for it, and compete with Xbox Live purchases through the store now. He's just butthurt that Steam's dominance may be at its end and the rising up of Origin and Xbox Live will create more competition.

I'm not so sure what the point is here. Its a dude talking about the old days and reminiscing about how hardware upgrades back then brought significantly more performance. He fails to note that back then, the only advances that could be made were in software stability and performance. These days its more a software and ecosystem war than anything else, considering that Windows is now coded to make three-year old systems run better and faster - there's no longer a need to upgrade frequently if you've invested in the right hardware (see Geoff with his Core 2 Quad, Toxxyc with his Core i7, me with my Athlon X3).

I disagree that the desktop's evolution is over. We're making the transition to more efficient components and ITX is becoming more and more popular with system builders. All-in-ones are gaining traction and the tablets with keyboard docks are also gaining mind share, if not market share thanks to the Transformer series. Computers like the Raspberry Pi are also bringing in the age of small systems because its possible to run a full Linux OS on there - find a way to get a Pi into a screen and wire it all up, and you have all-in-one Linux desktops for a fraction of the price of a bigger, more capable one.

The author also fails to mention the prevalance of the internet. Now that we have reliable wireless connections, there's no need for big, hulking desktop systems for those users who don't play games or need such powerful rigs. And that's why hardware upgrades for such systems have been tapering off for the last two years.

Also, ironically enough, the thre-year old systems that still run everything perfectly well today are the entire reason why the hardware industry is beginning a phase of consolidation. Less people buy new stuff because the old stuff still works - hence the dropping of warranties by hard drive manufacturers, AMD's purchase of ATi; and Nvidia, Intel and AMD planning their products according to the common user's hardware upgrade cycle - a new system every three years.
    Last edited by Wesley; 26-08-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Honestly my triumph card died when that article was hammered and removed.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-...ling-windows-8

Firstly..
    It won't win the mobile users over. "android is too powerful now"
    It may overtake i-OS.

The interface is ugly.. really ugly.
    It looks like a GUI for little kids.

Windows had been going down since the put so much focus on the visual side.
    Win 8 differs in some key aspects when it comes to development, and friendliness is currently not one of them.

Lastly, I'm not paying M$ another dime for a OS.
    When games run on linux.. I will never look back.

"my reasons to hate windows."

1. Majority vote... it gets the games.

2. Everyone uses it and it's always the same.
    "same exploits.. same holes, same viruses... same OS everywhere"
    Just look at how flame took a baseball bat to system security.
    Till then windows defender updates were hardly seen.

3. Lack of CBF. win 8 will be like vista... over shadowed by the next version where M$ actually listened once idiots stop buying win 8 for some reason. "but it's ok... we made money"

4. Promises of things that are just to good to be true. "win 98... south park movie.. watch it"

5. Win 8 mobile applications unable to run on normal OS... normal OS applications unable to run on mobile.

6. The prices you are asked for the mere ability to change your wallpaper.
    "this got me totally ripped apart.. I installed a ripped ver on my netbook"
    And just to be a douche I used a OEM key.

7. I'm anti establishment.
    "it may serve some causes.. but it sure as hell is doing nothing for the rest of us"
    Sure development may cost money.
    But if MS could... they would brain wash us all into thinking windows is the only OS.

I hope that this changes and that once other free operating systems come to join the party.
    I cannot stress how important it is for open source and free software to rip apart corporate tanks.
    Else they will never learn or evolve!!!

And we would still be on windows XP 32 moaning about a lack of 64 bit support for example.

It really does not help if the major new GFX card is 4 times more expensive.. but sports a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% overclock then justifying that with "it's the fastest card ever."

Give me 2 reasons why win 8 must exist.

Anyway i should probably put my feeling aside when it comes to these kind of posts.
    Last edited by Legion; 27-08-2012 at 06:22 AM.