User Tag List

Thread: Ouya: I think this deserves some attention now.

Default Ouya: I think this deserves some attention now.

Release Date: March 2013 (KS Preorder)/April 2013 (Retail)
    Price: $99 USD

Specs:
    • Nvidia Tegra 3 (T33) SoC
    • Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU
    • Nvidia ULP GeForce GPU
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 8 GB of internal flash storage
    • HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
    • Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
    • Bluetooth LE 4.0
    • Ethernet port
    • One USB 2.0
    • Wireless controller sporting two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button, and touchpad
    Some other stuff:
    The Ouya will feature an exclusive Ouya store for applications and games designed specifically for the Ouya system platform. Out of the box, Ouya will include the TwitchTV application and access to the OnLive video game streaming service. The physical dimensions of the Ouya console are expected to be around the size of a Rubik's cube. It is expected to run on a modified version of Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean", and be open to rooting of the console Android operating-system without the user voiding the warranty (developer models ordered during the Kickstarter campaign for $699 or $1,337 will come pre-rooted). The console's hardware design will allow it to be easily opened up, requiring only a standard screwdriver to allow easy modding and possible hardware addons (via "well-documented test points"). All systems can be used as development kits, allowing any Ouya owner and gamer to also be a developer, without the need for licensing fees. All games will be required to have some kind of free-to-play form. This could mean the game is completely free, has a free trial, or has purchasable upgrades, levels, or other in-game items.
    This part is my favorite:
    size of a Rubik's cube
    Games:
    There are currently 19 exclusive Ouya games to come with the Ouya, along with approximately 300 OnLive games, and over a thousand from Google Play's Android games.
    I definitely want one.

OUYA is a powerful, beautifully-designed game console for the TV.

It’s priced at $99, and all the games are free-to-play.

Shooters, platformers, sports games, arcade classics and indie games just feel bigger and better on a TV screen. That’s why we created OUYA: to bring the most creative, innovative, and exciting games to the television.

OUYA will offer a broad range of games from all the genres you love. We’ve already lined up some great content from AAA game publishers such as Square Enix and NAMCO Bandai and independent developers like Adam Saltsman, creater of Canabalt, and Robert Bowling, who’s bringing Human Element to OUYA before any other platform.

Plus, every game is free — well, free-to-play. We borrowed the free-to-play model from popular games like League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Triple Town and many others. Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe. We don’t want you to buy a game unless you love it.

And, because OUYA is based on Android, any game or application that has been published to Android would be playable on OUYA directly through our store. That includes video and music streaming players, entertainment apps, and anything else you can think of. Current partners include VEVO, iheartradio, TuneIn, XBMC, Plex, Twitch.tv, and OnLive. Play games, watch videos, and listen to music all through OUYA, in the comfort of your living room.

Lastly, OUYA is powerful. We’ve partnered with NVIDIA to bring you best-in-class graphics and performance. And, if you’re up for it, you can open OUYA up and look around (both the console and controller come with standard screws).

“The prospect of an affordable, open console — that’s an idea I find really exciting.” — Adam Saltsman (Semi Secret, creator of Canabalt)
    Last edited by Shaderow; 11-11-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Default Re: Ouya: I think this deserves some attention now.

Eh, the only reason I would get this would be for OnLive, and considering OnLive is only really functional in Europe, I don't see any other point to it. I've already got an Android tablet I can play Android games on.

I suspect this will likely be Kickstarter's first high-profile failure. Can't see it selling very well.

I would love one. Some android games really needs a controller and this is just the perfect package. This also seems like the first real console you can take with you on trips.

Also $99 (without the additional shipping charges <about another $20 if I remember when I backed this on Kickstarter correctly>) and this is even cheaper than the cheapest Xbox 360, plus you can mod the console how you see fit and it wont void the warranty (unlike other consoles where if the warranty sticker is removed/damaged etc would void it).

Slap Gameboid on there and you can play thousands of Gameboy games...

Well Final Fantasy 3 is a launch title now.
    I really want one of these, if only to tinker with the game creating software for a while.

I'll be interested to see how the Ouya performs. Personally, I don't think I want one, but I like the idea behind it.

This might be the first console I'll actually own since the Golden China. I won't be a first-day buyer or anything, I'll wait till the out-of-the-gate blues are fixed but I'm really considering it.

K, so for +-R1000 I can play all my games I have on my tablet, on my 32" TV with a controller? Also don't forget the endless NES / SNES
    emulators, DOSBOX for the android, Web browsing, being able to use apps like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube without a XBOX Live subsription?

How is this not a super win?

Imagine playing something like XCOM: Enemy Unknown through DOSBOX, then playing some super mario or worms, then Browse the web, check some movies on Youtube, stream the Rugby game on live streaming websites ect.