User Tag List

Thread: Getting wlan downstairs in my house.

Default Getting wlan downstairs in my house.

Hi guys. I have my PS3 downstairs in my house. I recently bought the Netgear N but it still didn't even get close. I was thinking about getting one of those power socket lan connectors but I'm not sure if it'll work because my house has 2 separate trip switches so maybe that will stop the communication between upstairs and downstairs. Sorry, I don't know much about electricity. U would plug that into my router and then on the other side I would get some sort of a lan to wifi device. Is this a good solution or are there better ways? My budget is 1.5k and 2k max. Which ethernet over power and lan to wifi device would you recommend? Thanks

Default Re: Getting wlan downstairs in my house.

How far is the PS3 from the Router approximately?

You could buy larger antennas for the router, the Netgear probably ships with 2 or 3dBi antennas. I'd get 6 or even 8dBi antennas if the distance it has to cover is quite large.

But of course you could always run an ethernet cable down to the PS3 :P

I'm not quite sure what you mean with "it still didn't even get close". I'm assuming that you're getting no to very little connectivity.

One thing that could influence the signal strength is the distance and through what obstacles the signal needs to travel (steel enforced concrete, etc.)

I've found that the PS3's internal antenna isn't that great, it does struggle to communicate via Wi-Fi sometimes, even though all the other PCs throughout the house works fine.

Some things you can try; Put some Wi-Fi monitoring software on a laptop (inSSIDer should work) and experiment. Have a look at any wireless networks near yours that have a strong signal and set your Wi-Fi to a channel away from theirs. (The PS3 uses 802.11b/g, even though you've got a 802.11n AP.)

Also, if your Wi-Fi access point has external antennas, try pointing them at a 45 degrees angle, or just play around (this part is kind of black magic).

(I realise I'm not answering your question, but I've managed to get my Wi-Fi network to cover everything from my loft down to the lowest level with a little tweaking.)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have the DGND3700. It has no external antenna. Thank you shook so much for your replies. I don't think wifi is a possibility because it isn't directly under me. There are about 5 rooms and then the stairs to go down.

Edit: I would also like to connect another device or 2 while I am down there. It's on the same DB board.
    Last edited by charly; 13-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.

I'd get a new router, or maybe borrow a friends and check if his has an external antenna, and see how it works out.

I dont really like the idea of plugging expensive inter-connected devices together with high voltage lines :P

What about getting a Wireless Repeater to put directly above you or somewhere nearby where you still have Wi-Fi signal?

What about " YOU CANT STREAM HD OVER WIRELESS VIA PMS "

So your only option is wireless.

Ok you are correct saying that having a second DB in the house could affect the power but your power comes from a single source. So that theoretically every part of your house has to be connected some how.

Id personally recommend that you use the Ethernet over power connectors. THey are good speed and youd be able to stream HD flawlessly. So you can be anal .. GO buy the units and make sure you EXPLAIN EVERYTHING to the guy on the floor. AS soon as you have told him he would say YES YES YES to everything to make the sale and you buy the 2 connectors.

Then try a small loop like your room to the room next door and see if you can get it to work .. IF yes then try it from the PS3 to the room with the router. IF it works SUCCESS!!!! if not return the product and say " It is not working as the sales guy suggested it would " CPA 7 day money back Guarantee . ( this is REAL **** TO DO )

IF all fails id rather connect a wireless extender . that has a RJ45 port to connect the PS 3 to. I have to say that ONE of my mates has NO problem streaming HD over his WIFI to his PS3. Every one else do have problems :D

Thanks a lot cranky. Any specific make or model you would recommend? Is there a device that I can plug a lan cable into and it will create Wifi hotspot and if possible have a port or 2? The range doesnt need to be great (about 7x7 meters will do.) Can you recommend me a good Ethernet power line adapter on an online store in South Africa. Thanks

Edit: the ports aren't too important but I would prefer it. I can buy a 4 port switch for cheap . What would be better to protect it from surges and lightning? A lan lightning protector or a power lightning protector?

2nd EDIT: I found this to connect the other side of the lan to power into. Does it look ok?
    Last edited by charly; 14-11-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Ok
    99% of the time lightning knocks out pcs`s is via the telephone line that connects to you router and then to your pc.. The pc dying from Power cord side was a direct hit and NOTHING protects from that .

You get products ( I recall seeing a Trendnet one ) that you can connect with a Rj45 ( 1 port ) to your PS3 or Xbox then has a wifi hotspot that would connecct to the WIFI of your Router.

MY pc is about 5M from my tv(ps3) and the important part is taht it has to apss through 3 walls. This cuts my signal by about 70% . But even having my router NEXT to my ps3 strugles with HD streaming .

I use the canyon ones but the most popular one ive heard is

http://www.dbg.co.za/product_info.php?products_id=664

THe one you linked is to transfer power over a NETWORK CABLE so that is not what you want,

Note that it does state that if you have 2 DB boxes as in 2 different power sources it s a problem but a 2nd DB in the Same circuit should be fine.

BUT this is what you are looking for ( I think )

http://www.dbg.co.za/product_info.ph...roducts_id=405

as long as you bypass the Wireless of the PS3 you should be A O K :D

Charly, I'd recommend getting one of these:

D-Link DIR-600L Wireless N 150 @ R385

There's two ways in which you can do this:

1) Run a LAN cable from the router to the second router downstairs and configure that as an access point
    2) Use the second router as a repeater and only have an internet connection downstairs for devices that require a network cable.

The first one is easier and more versatile since running a LAN cable in some trunking outside the house to protect it is very easy. You can configure the downstairs router with the same SSID and password and run it on a different channel so devices can switch to the network with the stronger signal as required. You'll have to disable DHCP for the second router and configure it as an access point.

The second option is also doable but only a good idea if its only wired devices that need access.

The third option is to buy another router which uses two antennae and both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bands. You create an invisible (hidden SSID) network on the 5GHz channel to connect the two routers without wires and configure both 2.4GHz networks with the same SSID and password but different channels (say 1 and 6). I did that for a client last year and it worked pretty well, but is the more expensive option. Don't bother with wireless repeaters or Ethernet over Power because the way most houses are wired together, if they haven't been built in the last ten years, doesn't really work for sending information along the electrical cables.

Thanks a lot Wesley and Cranky. @Wesley My house was built 8 years a go so the electrical systems are still quite new. I think I am going to use your 1st method but use the power over internet instead of a lan cable. Can you recommend any good ones? Is that other router I suggested an overkill?

Hey guys, sorry to do this.
    Thanks a lot Wesley and Cranky. @Wesley My house was built 8 years a go so the electrical systems are still quite new. I think I am going to use your 1st method but use the power over internet instead of a lan cable. Can you recommend any good ones? Is that other router I suggested an overkill?