User Tag List

Thread: Point and Click Recomendations

Default Point and Click Recomendations

Hey guys

My brothers wants recomendations for old Point and Click Adventure games. He's looking for ones like Space Quest. Not sure what that actually means other than Point and Click Games. Anything decent or with a good story. None of those horrible early 3D ones please, or those early ones with ****e graphics.

Winner of the Chippit Badge for Being The Awesome New Guy Grimnebulin's Avatar
    Gamertag: tenmilesza Steam ID: 76561198026853999

Default Re: Point and Click Recomendations

The last two years has seen a decent resurgence of point and click adventures. Some decent graphics, others that go for the retro appeal but with more modern interfaces. A few to definitely check out:

Resonance, Gemini Rue, Machinarium, The Whispered World, Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery are all worth checking out.

If he's looking for older titles, the Monkey Island series is a must, as is The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango. Full Throttle is also excellent, and the various Sam & Max titles are hilarious.

Thanks. We already have all the Monkey Islands (apart from Curse of Monkey Island). I played both Resonance and Gemini Rue. I thought they were great, but my brother isn't in to that Heavy Sci-Fi stuff. Space Quest is fine since it's funny. Thanks and will keep a look out for those. See some of those are available on AWX at least

gog.com is always a great source. Another recent one I quite enjoyed was The Book of Unwritten Tales. Decent game, but the greater enjoyment comes from its lampooning of almost every fantasy cliche under the sun.

Oh, and forgot to mention A Vampyre Story and Still Life.

I'll second Machinarium.

I think I have played this on an annual basis for the last what, four years?

So. Very. Pretty.

You could always try http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk for some community made point and click games.

The Dig

Then again, I dunno if this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalker 103 View Post
    or those early ones with ****e graphics.
    applies to the old Lucas Arts point and clicks.

The Dig is my favorite of the Lucas Arts point-and-clicks, in terms of atmosphere. Great Stuff.

Check out Samarost as well, plus Machinarium as others have suggested.

Still Life is great. Well, 90% of it is.

I've STILL to play the Longest Journey. :C

When I say ****e graphics, I mean like Kings Quest 1 and Space Quest 1. I had an Original copy of The Dig, then some guy loaned it and never brought it back. I got a hold of Beneath a Steel Sky for him. I played it before and it was excellent. Must also find Flight of the Amazon Queen again. That was also quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharrak View Post
    I've STILL to play the Longest Journey. :C
    It's like I don't even know you.

On topic, I know you mentioned your brother doesn't dig the heavy scifi stuff, but have you played I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream?

The first Broken Sword got a re-release on gog a while back. I can highly recommend this one too. Good puzzles, interesting characters and some really good humour in parts.

Thanks guys. Will check those out. I checked my XP Hardrive this morning and discovered I had the entire "De Foe Quadrilogy", Lure of the Temptress, Hook, Kings Quest 6, Indiana Jones (The one about Atlantis), Simon the Sorcerer 2, Sam and Max (Original one I think) and a few others. Needless to say my brother doesn't look very interested in them :P