User Tag List

Thread: PSN not immigration friendly

Default PSN not immigration friendly

I was hesitant to buy the PS3 again, after reading about how people that emigrate/immigrate struggle to convince Sony to change their account details. Basically, everytime you move to a new country you'll have to create a new account or keep a credit card account open from previous country. It really is a pain in the ass, because you lose all your trophies and friends.

This Problem is not exactly a new one, and I can't imagine why Sony can not change it.

Default Re: PSN not immigration friendly

Yeah. I did some homework and found out that this has been an Issue to many users since the PS3 came out. Can not change Country and address with an existing account. Can not transfer details to new account. All that Jazz...

It's only an issue if you are using a Vita. That can only have one account tied to it at the same time.

With the PS3 you will have to create a new PSN(SEN) account and have a new user on your system with that account tied to it. Then log in with whichever account you need to to download the respective region game/DLC and keep playing on your original account. You can play any game you have downloaded to your system on any of your systems accounts.

EDIT: Just for clarity, and because I didn't proof read the above before posting. Regardless of the region of origin of the game, you will be able to play it so long as the account the game is tied to exists on your system.
    Last edited by nukehead; 09-12-2012 at 04:15 PM.

I might be talking out my craphole though pArkEr's Avatar

You make it sound as if people change countries as often as they change their underwear haha.

Quote Originally Posted by nukehead View Post
    It's only an issue if you are using a Vita. That can only have one account tied to it at the same time.

With the PS3 you will have to create a new PSN(SEN) account and have a new user on your system with that account tied to it. Then log in with whichever account you need to to download the respective region game/DLC and keep playing on your original account. You can play any game you have downloaded to your system on any of your systems accounts.

EDIT: Just for clarity, and because I didn't proof read the above before posting. Regardless of the region of origin of the game, you will be able to play it so long as the account the game is tied to exists on your system.
    It's a new PS3, so all trophies, all downloadable content you previously bought and all Playstation plus membership you paid for...gone. Also you have to give up your account ID that you have used up until that point. You see, Sony will not delete your old account ID. You can still log into it, but you won't be able to buy anything unless you keep a credit card account open from the country that the account is assigned to.

Quote Originally Posted by pArkEr View Post
    You make it sound as if people change countries as often as they change their underwear haha.
    You just have to change country once to realize what a pain it is. The world is more often being referred to as the "Global Village" and more people are working abroad. Each and every person that has got a PSN account and have moved abroad has experienced this problem.
    Last edited by Drakus; 10-12-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakus View Post
    It's a new PS3, so all trophies, all downloadable content you previously bought and all Playstation plus membership you paid for...gone. Also you have to give up your account ID that you have used up until that point. You see, Sony will not delete your old account ID. You can still log into it, but you won't be able to buy anything unless you keep a credit card account open from the country that the account is assigned to.
    If you can log in, doesn't that mean you can download all your content, make a new ID and play your old content with the new ID as well as make purchases on it?

Drakus, what CyniKill has said is true. Log into your old account when you want to play/sync trophies/re-download your old purchases.

Then for any games you have that are of a different region to your original account you create a new user on your machine and a new PSN ID for that user. Any downloads you make for that user will still be playable on your other accounts on the machine, regardless of which region PSN ID is tied to it.

To say it another way all your services are tied to your PSN ID. Any games etc that you buy are therefore tied to that ID but the PS3 allows you to play anything on the machine so long as the PSN account it is tied to exists on the machine.

So in my case, I have my main account which is local to ZA, then I have my UK account which I buy all my Rock Band DLC etc for, and I have my US account for all the games I bought in the states. I only ever play games on my local ZA account.

The Vita however, can only have one account assigned to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CyniKill View Post
    If you can log in, doesn't that mean you can download all your content, make a new ID and play your old content with the new ID as well as make purchases on it?
    Yeah tried it, don't like it much but I suppose I'll get used to it. I just wanted to carry on with one account instead of needing one for this country and one for another. And all the trophies still do not carry over to the new account. /whinging
    Last edited by Drakus; 10-12-2012 at 12:30 PM.

I know this doesn't help, but sorry for your trouble man. Good Luck