User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you find Nvidia's Shield an attractive option for gamers?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this definitely grabs me by the nosehairs, Iím in!

0 0%
  • No, Iím not interested, even if it grabs me by my nosehairs.

6 60.00%
  • I canít afford another console/more hardware :-(

4 40.00%

Thread: A look at Geforce Shield and what's powering it

Default A look at Geforce Shield and what's powering it

So you may or may not have seen the news from CES 2013 all over the internet - not only has Nvidia created a monopoly for itself in the cloud with Geforce Grid, which I'll be discussing at a later stage, but its also entered itself into the cloud gaming market with something a little different - Geforce Shield, a proprietary handheld console, complete with software and services that basically allow you to run your own personal cloud gaming network. Lets check it out together and discuss the hardware that's going to power it.

Linky

Default Re: A look at Geforce Shield and what's powering it

a proprietary handheld console
    I wouldn't say it's proprietary. Runs pure Android and has access to the play store. So any Android games will work on it.

First things first, there’s an intentional resemblance between this thing and Nintendo’s Wii U gamepad or even Sony’s Vita.
    Would say looks more like an Xbox controller.

But here in South Africa, it won’t be such a huge hit. You’d need uncapped internet to use this
    Since when? It streams PC games over your local LAN if have a GTX650 or higher graphics card. No idea where you got 400 series from.

By leveraging the Video Codec Engine video encoder inside their recent GTX 600 video cards,
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6549/n...red-by-tegra-4

I think you totally missed the point of the device.

Maybe have a look here for a more balanced view:

Quote Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
    I wouldn't say it's proprietary. Runs pure Android and has access to the play store. So any Android games will work on it.
    • Runs a customised version of Android, made to work with the Grid service and the Tegra 4 hardware
    • Won't work with any other version of Android until someone hacks it
    • Bootloader probably isn't open
    • Would probably be sold directly by Nvidia itself and not through partners
    I'd say its pretty proprietary so far. I can't imagine Nvidia launching this and saying. "Here you go, hack it and install your own customised crappy launcher!"

Would say looks more like an Xbox controller.
    Uh...thank you, Captain Obvious? :-P

I think you totally missed the point of the device.
    What about Shield did I miss?
    Last edited by Wesley; 09-01-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Runs a customised version of Android
    Wrong.

On the software side of things Project Shield is running what NVIDIA is calling “pure Android”, which in this case is presumably a reference to them not doing any skinning/customizations, ala MotoBlur, TouchWiz, and other OEM customizations.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6549/n...red-by-tegra-4

It is, at least currently, based on Android Jelly Bean OS, or according to Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang, pure Android with no custom UI. Thank God for that.
    http://fudzilla.com/home/item/30025-...gaming-console

What about Shield did I miss?
    When I said you aren't getting the point of the device I meant you're focusing way too much on Grid. Some articles haven't even mentioned Grid functionality at all.

The device will be primarily used for:
    1. Playing PC games away from the PC over your local wifi
    2. Playing Android games.

Grid functionality will just be a nice to have that I'm sure will hardly be ever used. Your article makes it seem that you will need an always on internet connection to use the device when that's definitely not the case.

Would probably be sold directly by Nvidia itself and not through partners
    This has been confirmed.

http://fudzilla.com/home/item/30046-...sold-by-nvidia

Honestly? I think this is pretty stupid. So it's a handheld device that only plays android games when you're not at home. And when you are at home you can stream Steam games over wi-fi. Instead of playing them on your monster rig.

Dude, if I'm also missing the point, please enlighten me, but I see this bombing so bad (I hope not though).