User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Done Hating on Anime

Default Re: I'm Done Hating on Anime

Just have to add no need to go so oldschool. Some of the new ongoing anime are amazing. Psycho-pass for one.

Quote Originally Posted by James Donaldson View Post
    Grave of the Fireflies anyone?
    Jesus, I was depressed for days after that one :/

I'm sorry, I can appreciate Ghibli movies, but they usually leave me with an empty feeling at the end and in hindsight I can't help but think there's something creepy about them, Grave of the Fireflies anyone?
    Um... Grave of the Fireflies is meant to be intentionally horrific and traumatic. I'm curious to know what you might find "creepy" about movies like Ponyo, Laputa or Porco Rosso?

Spirited Away had moments of brilliance, but it was incredibly disjointed for a reason: it was actually directed by two different people. I have the BFI book on Spirited Away and it discusses how the first half was directed by someone else (either the lead animator or one of the producers, I can't remember off hand) and how the second half was directed by Miyazaki. The split is quite obvious and even before I read the book I often felt there was a dramatic shift in tone/style at one point.

And I can see why people might assume certain things because it's set in a bath house, but the narrative itself has little to do with the "metaphor" that's pointed out.

Studio Ghibli (all of these are movies)
    Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind
    Grave of the Fireflies
    My Neighbour Totoro
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Porco Rosso
    Pom Poko
    Whisper of the Heart
    Princess Mononoke
    The Cat Returns
    Howl's Moving Castle
    The Secret World of Arrietty
    Well I loved Spirited Away, so this list is much appreciated. I just browsed takealot and all of these are available.
    I also came across this. http://www.takealot.com/movies/anime...rt-dvd,3167477 I've read the Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin but I have never heard of this. Anyone seen it?
    Last edited by Yuri; 07-02-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: I fail at the internet :/

@James Donaldson despite your warnings I have no ruined My Neighbour Totoro for myself forever.... ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
    I also came across this. http://www.takealot.com/movies/anime...rt-dvd,3167477 I've read the Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin but I have never heard of this. Anyone seen it?
    It's loosely based on the Earthsea fiction, but there's no real tie in as I understand it. It is indeed a Studio Ghibli movie, but it has some issues. It's a good movie up to the conclusion which feels somewhat flat. The climax just isn't very... climactic. This being why I didn't include it in my recommendations :P

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
    Well I loved Spirited Away, so this list is much appreciated. I just browsed takealot and all of these are available.
    It's loosely based on the Earthsea fiction, but there's no real tie in as I understand it. It is indeed a Studio Ghibli movie, but it has some issues. It's a good movie up to the conclusion which feels somewhat flat. The climax just isn't very... climactic. This being why I didn't include it in my recommendations :P
    Earthsea is ****. The animation is borderline crap in places, the pacing is glacial and after watching 45 minutes I just gave up. Goro's 2nd movie, From up on Poppy Hill, is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Goraan View Post
    @James Donaldson despite your warnings I have no ruined My Neighbour Totoro for myself forever.... ;_;
    I found the original article that theory is based on, and the author, or rather his sources, sounds like a conspiracy theorist. No facts, only possible connections, and a lot of those connections are based upon what sounds like heresay. He even highlights that some of the connections are entirely possible (the girls mother being in hospital for a year). Also, he even points out that one of the things discussed (Mei's sandal near the river) isn't true.

Spoilers at the link below

http://my.opera.com/sukekomashi-gaij...nari-no-totoro

Furi kuri.. try wrap your head around the story i dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Furi kuri.. try wrap your head around the story i dare you.
    Furi kuri actually makes a lot of sense (within context). You just have to watch it a couple of times to learn how things work.