User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quitting smoking.

Default Re: Quitting smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Azraphael View Post
    But this right here is what I do not understand. How come tobacco companies cannot find a way to make cigs non-toxic. From a pure business point of view, they would be allowed to advertise again (more money), and their user-base wouldn't be dying off (more money). All that they would need to do is make them smokeless so as not to bother anyone around them. This seems logical - no harmful effects, no ****ing the non-smokers off, no waste of resources policing smokers, and best of all I won't have to quit.
    Read: E-cig? Most people I know who tried that said it is a load of "kak". :P

It is. Burns the living **** out of you when the oil things leak out, and still doesn't stop you from smoking. Still stuffing yourself with ant poison.

But this right here is what I do not understand. How come tobacco companies cannot find a way to make cigs non-toxic. From a pure business point of view, they would be allowed to advertise again (more money), and their user-base wouldn't be dying off (more money). All that they would need to do is make them smokeless so as not to bother anyone around them. This seems logical - no harmful effects, no ****ing the non-smokers off, no waste of resources policing smokers, and best of all I won't have to quit.
    Well it's because the cigs aren't that toxic to begin with. The problem doesn't come from a cig being harmful to you, the problem comes from 50 cigs a day being harmful. Anything in that quantity is going to be bad for you, so you can't really fix it.

I personally am not a smoker, but I know enough people who have quit and have tried to quit. One thing that has been mentioned before and is true in most cases at least, is that you have to WANT to stop. Everyone I know who has quit, hated the stink on their clothes, the money wasted, the crap colour in their fingers and teeth, etc. Everyone who I know that tried to quit but failed isn't bothered by the smell, money, etc. It seems the most important factor of smoking (your health) is actually the least motivating to quit, so quitting on that basis alone will never work.

I think a great way to stop is to work out how much money you are wasting a month on smoking and thinking about that you could be using that money on instead. Smoking here in Oz is particularly expensive, I think it's an attempt to get people to stop. My dad smokes 2-3 packs a day and it costs him the equivalent of between R11'000-R16'000 a month. Unfortunately the smell, money or anything for that matter bothers him about smoking, so he will never quit. My mother on the other hand hated seeing the money wasted, hated the smell and she quit relatively easy. She also used that Champex (spelling?) though and said it helped her big time for the physical cravings.

Good grief...R11000 to R16000 a month on Cigs alone?? OH HELL NO!

Quote Originally Posted by B4warn3d View Post
    Good grief...R11000 to R16000 a month on Cigs alone?? OH HELL NO!
    He probably meant a year. I worked it out when I read that the first time and it works out to about 90 packs a day.

It's accurate for a yearly figure though.

E-cigarette - I used one a few years ago, worked like a charm. I managed to quit, but 11 months and some serious work **** later, I started again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nferno View Post
    90 packs a day.
    Instant Death I'd think :P

It's accurate for a yearly figure though.
    Let's see, 2 packets a day

2 x 30 = 60 packets a month. 60 x 17 Australian Dollars avg. for a pack = $1020

1020 x 9.19 = R9373 per month. Absolutely crazy, I have tons of things I'd rather spend that money on other than smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by B4warn3d View Post

Let's see, 2 packets a day

2 x 30 = 60 packets a month. 60 x 17 Australian Dollars avg. for a pack = $1020

1020 x 9.19 = R9373 per month. Absolutely crazy, I have tons of things I'd rather spend that money on other than smokes.
    You have a weird way of calculating :P

R60 x 365 days = R21900.00

R21900/12 = R1825.00 PM

Either he got the exchange rate wrong, or he got the price of cigarettes in Australia wrong.

My cigs cost me R450 a week.

You have a weird way of calculating :P

R60 x 365 days = R21900.00

R21900/12 = R1825.00 PM
    Indeed I do. :P This made things so much easier.

Just one thing though, a pack of cigs in Aus is $17 on average. Might even be more now. Exchange rate for an Australian Dollar to Rand is 9.19

So in Aus $

$34 x 365 = $12410

$12410/12 = $1034

$1034 x 9.19 = R9503 per month. Unless I'm doing something horribly wrong...I have to admit...I suck at math. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    My cigs cost me R450 a week.
    Holy crap smoking is expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flangenimblick View Post
    *Only non-smoker amongst my entire family and one of five non-smokers in my entire friend group. Never tried it and have never wanted to. Proud of self ;)*

Good luck Legion! What helped my friend was to start working out every day. He said he went for a run every time he had a craving, so might also work for you?
    I'm not a smoker either, but I've seen some of my friends try to quite before. It seems like each time we meet someone else is trying to quite. Glad that I never got started.

For me the killer is alcohol. If I'm out drinking, I wanna smoke. And even when I'm at a period of not smoking, if I am somewhere where I cannot smoke a joint, I turn to the next best thing - a cigarette.
    This gets all of my friends. They could have stopped months ago, but around a braai, with drinks, and someone else smoking, they almost all cave.

Good luck though Legion. I hope that it works out for you.

My calculations are fine. It's $20 for a pack.

$20 * 2 = $40 a day.
    $40 * 30 = $1200 a month.
    $1200 * 9.13 (Oz Dollar to Rand) = R10'956

Same for 3 packs a day gets you

$20 * 3 = $60
    $60 * 30 = $1800
    $1800 * 9.13 = R16'434

So, R11'000 - R16'000 a month :P

The average Joe here rolls their own cigs cause it is so expensive.
    Last edited by MonGooS; 12-02-2013 at 10:35 PM.