User Tag List

Thread: Looks like AMD won't be releasing HD8000 this year :-(

Default Looks like AMD won't be releasing HD8000 this year :-(

Well this is unexpected. Over the weekend a tweet by an AMD representative from their engineering department in the graphics division linked to an article on Japanese-based site 4Gamer, with the article detailing an interview with AMD's Global Desktop Graphics Product Manager, Devon Nekechuk. In the interview Nekechuk mentions that AMD has plans for a mobile HD8000 refresh codenamed "Solar System", bringing GCN-based GPUs to the lower end of the mobile lineup, whilst also re-branding their OEM chips as HD8000 cards, possibly with a minor overclock and blower coolers as standard. But they mentioned nothing about a consumer-focused desktop HD8000 lineup, because they don't plan on launching one until much later this year.

Linky

Default Re: Looks like AMD won't be releasing HD8000 this year :-(

I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.

Could be both. I'm still trying to make my mind up about the same thing, but since I can't afford a new GPU anyway it doesn't affect me much.

At the moment neither can I, although I was hoping to have something new this year at some point. I don't know if I should make my card last for one more year, by which time it will be four years old, or succumb to temptation and buy what's available now. Oh heck, decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by .exe View Post
    I don't know if I should make my card last for one more year, by which time it will be four years old.
    Mine's going on three years now and this year I'll have to use 720p if my framerate at 1080p isn't acceptable.