User Tag List

Thread: Biostar joins the Bitcoin craze for dedicated miners

Default Biostar joins the Bitcoin craze for dedicated miners

As if it wasn't enough that Litecoin and other Altcoin miners are snapping up AMD graphics cards on all corners of the globe to make their virtual currency, some of the motherboard manufacturers have been getting in on the action with some even offering dedicated motherboards designed specifically for mining purposes and nothing else. Bitcoin's bubble hasn't yet broken and it seems as if the currency is flattening out and making room for itself in the global market. To coin in (ahem) on this craze, Biostar has begun to offer dedicated ASIC miners for use in Bitcoin mining.

Linky

Default Re: Biostar joins the Bitcoin craze for dedicated miners

Okay, so now somebody has to tell me - what is this Bitcoin/Bitmining thing, and how does it work? How do you get into it, how do you make money off it and how effective is it? I see "mining" machines all over for sale, some for low prices and this may not be a bad idea to stick one into the office power plug, seeing as the use will be negligible on the company's power usage...

Well, dude. You know when you make a bag of microwave popcorn? You eventually finish eating all the popcorn in the bag but there's always those kernels at the bottom that haven't popped, so you pan through them one by one until you find some that are half-popped and edible.

That's basically bitcoin mining.

Yeah, boat has been missed at this point...

Oh I see. Damn. What good are miners for other than for mining? What does a machine like that have or contain?

PS: Those last edible pieces of popcorn is what I love most if the whole bag.

Basically as many high powered GPUs are possible. It doesn't really natter how much ram or CPU power you have as long as you have 2-4 of the top AMD GPUs on the market and a PSU and board that cab power them you good to go. Mining machines could be turned into beast gaming PCs if you put a crazy CPU and RAM on there but when this bubble does pop. I predict a flood of second hand GPUs onto the market

Many of those mining machines have custom build ASICs who are even more efficient at producing hashes than standard GPUs.

That's very interesting. I also heard people were using large ARM systems. The main issue I see in mining is trying to sell coins here in SA and convert them into Rs. There isn't a lot of people wanting to buy bitcoins here.

Ah. I can buy a bitminer now for R1,500 (Antminer S1 Dual Blade) but I was wondering what I can use from the thing if I do buy it. GFX, PSU, RAM, etc. etc. If it's custom stuff though chances are it'll be fairly useless at gaming, right? Right?

From what I understand yes but before you buy it check how many hashes it can produce a second, a little Google will tell you that and then based on the current network difficulty you usually can calculate how much you will make using one of the many websites that help you do that.

People think bitcoin mining is viable for income.
    I's not.. even if you were able to build enough hashes to pay for the power required "at that point you have something the size of a data centre" then you start competing with other massive groups.

Hardware codecs "asic's" are lower in power use but are totally underpowered still.

Using gpu's work but gpu's are power hungry beasts.

What does hash mining get you? pocket change.

totally screams without needing a mouth .dB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    People think bitcoin mining is viable for income.
    I's not.. even if you were able to build enough hashes to pay for the power required "at that point you have something the size of a data centre" then you start competing with other massive groups.

Hardware codecs "asic's" are lower in power use but are totally underpowered still.

Using gpu's work but gpu's are power hungry beasts.

What does hash mining get you? pocket change.
    In it's current state, you have to scale mining up to such an extent that mining really isn't feasible at all if you're trying to make any real cash yeah. It's pretty much just an idiot-trap at this point, considering the amount of disinfo regarding cryptocurrencies out there atm.

There are infinitely better, but harder ways to make money via crypto.

the real way to of made money out of bit coins was to invest when they were dirt cheap back in the day and cash out sometime this year. If you didn't do that, its to late for you