User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official NAG Online Podcast

Default The Official NAG Online Podcast

So, this is a thing now.

We'll be continuing the podcast on Wednesday nights at around 8PM and the episodes will be done live, with the audio/video available on Youtube later as well as a direct download link for those of you who like to download podcasts beforehand to listen to on the way to wherever it is you're going.

I generally don't like to think too far in the future for things like this but there's a lot of potential for this kind of content. We're hoping to involve more people and possibly some guests in the mix as well.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

So what's it going to be covering?

We're concentrating mainly on content posted to NAG Online, which includes reviews, opinion pieces, my buyer's guides and special features, as well as interesting news from the past week that we may have seen or reported on. With the weekly competitions that seem to be happening on the site now, we'll have a small section in the beginning reminding people of them and what you can win.

What's the aim for this project?

Mainly, this is to go into more detail about what's happening on the site than what Chris' This Week In Gaming columns afford to the tiny space at the bottom of the article. A lot of people don't have the time to read gaming and hardware news and this is a nice way to catch up without distracting yourself too much from the task at hand.

Eventually and a personal hope of mine, I'd like to see this morph into video content.

How do I access the live cast?

First, install Mumble. Then configure an account for the server that we use. Details below:

Label: [whatever name you want]
    Address: mumble.isgaming.co.za
    Port: 64738

Our channel is under the NEW AND IMPROVED NAGlings group and the access token is "badger". You can add in access tokens through the Menu > Server > Access Tokens window. Add in your token and then click OK, then join us in the Podcast channel! Afterwards we'll move to the discussion group to chat with anyone who's still left listening to us after the hour-plus-long drivel.

Once we have the capability, we'll move to something better but for now this is the best solution we can come up with that doesn't involve using a lot of third-party software to do what Mumble does natively. There's still some elements of the audio drift bug present in our recordings, but it's much less of a problem now than it was before.

Given the fact that we'll be recording live, we'd like to request that everyone mutes themselves before recording begins. If you'd still like to chat and give feedback during the show, I believe the Mibbit chat still works. If you've long forgotten those details, the server is Shadowfire.org and the channel is #nag.co.za.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

I don't have very many questions that I think would need answering and I'd like to keep to just this announcement for now. If any of you have questions, please fire away.
    Last edited by Wesley; 17-09-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Default Re: The Official NAG Online Podcast

This was attempted with Miktar, Toby and Danny a few years back. As I recall the following was not what they expected and the effort vs reward didnt show benefit.

What makes yours different and what do you plan to do to attract more followers?

This could be great! I always like to see NAG online grow and this could be a step in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Gen0cyde View Post
    This was attempted with Miktar, Toby and Danny a few years back. As I recall the following was not what they expected and the effort vs reward didnt show benefit.
    I never knew that! I just tried to find any of those still on the net and nothing came up, so I can't give you a frame of reference for what we're doing that's different. One thing I can tell you is that this is something that's been on my mind for a while and was brought up again by Delano on Twitter, mostly because there isn't any public connection to the writer's names you see at the bottom of the article.

I know that Miklos did a few video previews for games he was reviewing and the hit counts didn't go very high, but the potential is there for it to get better.

As for attracting more followers, we'd first like to get this as a regular feature and work on finding ways to bring in more viewers later. We're all new at this so we're making it up as we go along.

The forums are quite dead during weekends. If you want more to attend, you should give plenty of notice and reminders. Publicity. Just an idea.

It went well! We'll have the video and audio available tomorrow, time willing.

The NAG Online Podcast: Episode 01

With the rise of the internet and the fall of free time everywhere, we realise that not everyone has the time to sit around and read articles and go into long-winded arguments over the internet whether “Most t-bag crouches in a multiplayer match” is a valid world record attempt or not. Sometimes you just want to play your games or lie back and relax and listen to the peaceful sound of people talking about games and occasionally hardware.

Well, now you can! This is the first-ever NAG Online podcast starring myself, Rick de Klerk and Delano. This is the first time any of us has ever done this and it’s also not a bad run. With any luck, this’ll turn into a regular feature on Wednesday nights at 7PM and, for now, you can even listen and interact with us as we record it live. How cool is that? Hit the jump for the podcast list so you can follow what we’re talking about and download the audio-only version of the same that you’ll see on the Youtube video embedded below. Give it a listen and let us know what you think!

Recorded on 20 July 2014; duration 1hr39min

00:20 Hosts introduction: Wesley Fick, Rick de Klerk, Mark Del

On NAG Online:

00:35 WIN: four movies because we love you

05:28 5 Features Every Game Needs To Have – Chris Kemp

18:41 Review: Orc Attack: Flatulent Rebellion – Mark Del

22:15 Laptop Buyer’s Guide: July R2000 to R9000 – Wesley Fick

News Items of Interest:

30:54 Xbox Entertainment Studios is dead, Xbox Originals too

37:50 Court obtained emails suggest Bobby Kotick was nearly fired

43:40 Take a Mass Effect questionnaire; help guide development

48:50 Alien languages promised if Star Citizen reaches $50m

54:00 Former Panamanian dictator suing over COD depiction

Topical Topics:

1:11:27 YouTubers getting paid to support the views of publisers?

1:28:41 Kickstarter and Early Access failures and concerns

Competitive Events Happening Now:

Dota 2: The International
    Linky

Listening to you goddamn podcast now.

Initial impressions: Nobody has an annoying voice. Good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    Listening to you goddamn podcast now.

Initial impressions: Nobody has an annoying voice. Good start.
    ^_^

I've always thought I don't have a good voice for these kinds of things, but apparently I'm the only one who thinks so.

We're also going to be taking all the feedback we're getting and use it to make the next cast better. So keep those comments coming!

Honestly, I listened to it and I liked it. I just want to make some constructive criticism:

I listen to a ton of podcasts and one thing that sticks out to me is how peppy all the podcasters are. They really put a lot of energy behind what they are talking about and show a lot of enthusiasm. However, listening to your podcast and you guys sound so tired, like you're babalas.

Edit: Listen to some of the smodcast podcasts for some reference as to what I mean on "enthusiasm". http://smodcast.com/sir

Besides that, no problems at all. I really like the podcast and it's got subject matter relevant to my interests, so I'll keep listening as it's bound to get better. Keep it up.

So you guys should create a NAG channel on Youtube so I can subscribe and see when new videos are loaded. And also put the video revies on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nferno View Post
    However, listening to your podcast and you guys sound so tired, like you're babalas.
    I'll be sure to crack open a beer for the next time :-P I'm also down with a cold, so that will explain my side.

Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Himmler View Post
    So you guys should create a NAG channel on Youtube so I can subscribe and see when new videos are loaded. And also put the video revies on it.
    I'll be requesting access to that asap, it'll be better to have it all on there.

Also, did any of you guys use the audio-only file, or was it mainly through Youtube?

I have just downloaded the audio... may only get to listen tomorrow though.

I'm listening to the youtube link on the front page. It works.

Something needs to be double-checked for the next one though - microphones. The quality is mostly good, but there are the odd occasions where it sounded like someone had issues with the connection or something. Like fiddling with the plug.

And whoever is using that mechanical keyboard needs to tone that stuff down.

I'm listening to the youtube link on the front page. It works.

Something needs to be double-checked for the next one though - microphones. The quality is mostly good, but there are the odd occasions where it sounded like someone had issues with the connection or something. Like fiddling with the plug.

And whoever is using that mechanical keyboard needs to tone that stuff down.
    I'm pretty sure that Delano's 3G connection was responsible for that, I never get that kind of feedback on my mike. I have a mech as well, but I didn't use it much. We're working on what settings to use for background noise for next time :)

Yeah, I don't have a lot of suggestions for background noise, aside from the obvious (getting a pro mic with filter for that kind of thing) which would be expensive, but other than that I'm fairly impressed. I've heard some painful and boring podcasts before and this one wasn't one of them.

I'll give it a listen when I get home (if I can..kinda hit threshold this month). Sounds like it could be quite a cool addition to the NAG family.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of suggestions for background noise, aside from the obvious (getting a pro mic with filter for that kind of thing) which would be expensive, but other than that I'm fairly impressed. I've heard some painful and boring podcasts before and this one wasn't one of them.
    I know that you can record the entire podcast and then run it through some downloaded filters using Audacity which can help clean up background noise. I used it about 2 years ago to do something similar for a work presentation.