User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Battlefront being priced at R1k?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is?... Woah!

5 26.32%
  • It depresses me.

5 26.32%
  • I'm still buying it.

0 0%
  • Hello no!

9 47.37%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Battlefront on consoles is pretty much R1000...

Default Re: Star Wars Battlefront on consoles is pretty much R1000...

This is honestly stupid and the reason that I don't buy games at launch any more. I remember that last year Xbox One and PS4 games were still about R699 at launch, maybe R749 in the case of big titles so games have gone up by R250 in a year.

What most people will find sad is that the cost price on those games is about R850 for the retailers.

Holy ****. I thought it was just Battlefront. Then I thought it was just EA games, but what the ****? At this rate I'm never buying another console again, let alone a PS4 which I planned for next year.

I think it will be interesting to see if there is a difference between distributors, but Ster Kinekor does 99% of them isn't it?

Edit: Going through takealots preorder page for PS4.

Most are 800+ with the exceptions of a couple randoms which I've never heard of. There is the new Ratchet & Clank which comes out at the end of March so I don't take any stock on that price.

On the new releases: Fallout is R759, the rest above 800.

This is ****ing ridiculous
    Last edited by no_fear; 25-11-2015 at 07:22 PM.

I don't want to harp on about the fact, but Steam just started using Rand, which resulted in a price drop almost across the board. Sure, you're still up **** creek on EA games because EA, but I don't see console gaming staying popular at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by no_fear View Post

I think it will be interesting to see if there is a difference between distributors, but Ster Kinekor does 99% of them isn't it?
    Shockingly Ster Kinekor does none of the games discussed in this thread. Call of Duty and Tomb Raider are Megarom and EA games and Xbox first party titles are Prima interactive

Quote Originally Posted by LazyDemoni View Post
    I just checked the price on Amazon US and UK. It's the same for PC and console, $60 and 42 respectively. How come the PC version is so much cheaper in South Africa (it's R600 from Takealot)? Do we get console games from Europe and PC games from the US? That would explain the price difference and makes sense due to regional restrictions.

Publishes set prices separately for each reason

Thats why our PC games are super cheap at only R499+ ($35), but the US pays $60 and EU plays 40+ Euros
    Last edited by Acinixys; 26-11-2015 at 01:26 AM.

That's quite expensive, but it doesn't bother me, I find it all relative. I try to avoid buying new (launch) games just because I know it will become cheaper, so even if it was R500 I would wait for the price drop before worrying about the price. And, if a tank of fuel costs R700, then R1k for a game is plausible. So compared to the last few years it is expensive, but compared to the trend in pricing its not. Games have always felt too expensive anyway, at least at the moment buy a game is cheaper than buying a console for that game. I bought a few megadrive games that cost more than the console, so to me its all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
    Nope. In terms of software, Ster only handles distribution of Bethesda, Konami, SEGA, Warner Bros, Capcom, and a couple of smaller pubs.

These days, EA is distributed (mostly) by Prima Interactive - the same folks who do Disney.

Megarom is the largest distributor, and handles 2K, Rockstar, Activision/Blizzard, Square, Namco, and a few others.

Apex Interactive handles the smaller publishers like Telltale, Atari, Focus Home Interactive, Koch Media and 505 Games.

There are a couple of other distributors that do a few things here and there, but those are the biggest companies.

This game has strangely never appealed to me, even though I've seen a few gameplay videos. Maybe it's because I still play BF3/4 every now and again.
    When ever EA is mentioned my brain immediately recalls Curt Cobain lyrics- "Rape me, Rape me my friend"

These prices really bother me,I was also planning on buying ps4 next year the prices on those are dropping nicely and saw recently makro had a special on them for R5900.00 with two games.Was also planning on buying the second hand games from places like BT games and so on they going for around an average op R500.00 a game.But with these new price increases even the second hand games will be more expensive,honestly paying R1000.00 a game is just complete madness for me its a big chunk of change.
    Last edited by Falkenbach; 26-11-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acinixys View Post

Publishes set prices separately for each reason

Thats why our PC games are super cheap at only R499+ ($35), but the US pays $60 and EU plays 40+ Euros
    But that's Steam prices. Fallout 4 on Steam is R800, retail is R600.

And, if a tank of fuel costs R700, then R1k for a game is plausible.
    This is something else that's been bothering me for a while. The oil price has been fluctuating but at some points it was as low as $37. It did coincide with our currency weakening but I think we're paying waaay too much for fuel. This is a topic for another thread though.

This is something else that's been bothering me for a while. The oil price has been fluctuating but at some points it was as low as $37. It did coincide with our currency weakening but I think we're paying waaay too much for fuel. This is a topic for another thread though.
    Yeah, ZAR has devalued by almost 50% against USD (R10odd Dec 2014, R14odd Dec 2015) Pretty sure this has an impact on the R1,000 price tag too.

Here's a neat thought: Star Wars Battlefront 2 is R32.70 on steam right now. How about we all buy it and have ourselves some fun :)

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Here's a neat thought: Star Wars Battlefront 2 is R32.70 on steam right now. How about we all buy it and have ourselves some fun :)
    Will we need someone to make a dedicated server?

Will we need someone to make a dedicated server?
    I dunno, I'm waiting for my moniez to pay in to buy the damn thing. I do read one has to use 3rd party software to play online though seeing as Gamespy is no longer among the existing.

Hey guys! Thanks for participating in this, I've written up the first piece about the price increases.

Quote Originally Posted by NAG Online
    Last month, Electronic Arts and DICE launched Star Wars Battlefront, the shooter that’s replacing what would have been a Battlefield launch this year, and it’s a great game, as evidenced by our recent review of it by Dane, and the first impressions that my brother Matthew and I wrote during the beta. But while it is deserving of the accolades it’s been given by critics elsewhere on the internet, I never noticed until these past few weeks that Battlefront has finally taken us past the point of no return – the game costs R1,000 in most walk-in stores and online retailers. Yikes! But it’s not just Battlefront, as I later discovered. Hit the jump and join me as I learn more about this sad situation.
    Source: NAG Online

The PC version is only R699 though. What's the difference?

It's PC.

I'm serious, that looks like it's the only difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    It's PC.

I'm serious, that looks like it's the only difference.
    XD

No way I'm buying into this bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by James Donaldson View Post
    The PC version is only R699 though. What's the difference?
    You get a code to download the game, as far as I know. The console versions the disc is in the box.