What is the NAG BYOC LAN?
BYOC is “Bring Your Own Computer/Console”. In other words, you need to bring a working gaming rig to the LAN, preloaded with the correct software (games). In the NAG LAN you can play games at your leisure and pretty much do your own thing based on what servers VC and/or the community will have up and running. This is simply a LAN, much like any other except that it is being held at rAge and consists of 2,000 odd players. The network and internet connection is also something to behold and makes all the effort of lugging your rig to the event worthwhile. We supply two dedicated plug outlets per player to power your PC/console and monitor. Network infrastructure including the cable to each table is provided. Monitors may not be bigger than 27”, so please do not bring your HD flat screen TV to the LAN. Please read the rest of this FAQ to see more specifics on what is allowed and what not.

Where is the NAG LAN being held?
The NAG LAN will be held at the TicketPro Dome in Northgate Johannesburg from Friday 6 October at 09h00 to Sunday 8 October at 15h00.

Can I bring a console or laptop instead of a PC?
Yes, but you may not bring more than one gaming device per ticket. Each additional gaming device you bring will require its own NAG LAN ticket. Thus if you want to bring your laptop/PC AND your Xbox/PlayStation, you require two tickets.

What is this red plug and why must I have it?
The LAN power requires the use of dedicated power outlets, “red plug”, to conform to legal requirements for the event. Therefore please ensure that each gaming device that requires power conforms to our standard power requirements. This picture shows what the red plug with the flattened earth pin looks like. Without this red plug type you will NOT be able to plug into the power grid. These plugs can be purchased from most large hardware stores for about R20 if you fit the plug yourself, or R70/R80 for the complete dedicated PC power cord. Please do not wire the plug yourself if you are not competent to do so, rather get someone to assist you at the hardware store.

Is there reserved parking?
Secure parking has been reserved in Parking Block E if you are in possession of a NAG LAN ticket. Please do not park in the incorrect parking block as the walk to get to the LAN entrance is going to be long, hot and tiring!

Is there an age restriction for the LAN?
No, unless you feel as though you are at an age where you no longer have a sense of fun or you are too young/old to enjoy an awesome gaming event such as rAge. We do recommend though that very young gamers are supervised by a responsible adult/parent.

Must I bring my own games to the LAN?
Yes, any game that you want to play will need to be installed on your computer/console. We only provide the infrastructure for you to play your own legal games, so we do not support piracy and therefore cannot supply gamers with games. Free to play games that are available can obviously be obtained from the Internet, it is however suggested that you have all your games fully installed and updated before coming to the LAN.

What games will be played in the LAN?
Basically any game that you and your LAN buddies would like to play that does not cause a non-willing participant any harm. Any communities that want to organize their own competitions for a specific game, please feel free to create a thread in this forum with all the info included so that the community can sign up and get involved. Do keep in mind though that there will be no trips to Sun City, Okavango Swamps or Zanzibar to be won. We will try and assist where possible to get some smaller prizes and giveaways for these competitions, but we can’t guarantee anything. If an formal competition is held in the LAN, news and information is usually published on the NAG website or NAG Facebook page.

What do I need to bring with me?
You will need a PC/console/laptop, monitor (27” is the largest we allow), keyboard/gamepad, mouse, headphones, power cord for pc and monitor. Please note that your power cord for any of your gaming devices must have a red plug with the flattened earth pin. Without this red plug type you will not be able to plug into the power grid. Also note that you may not charge your cellphone from a normal power outlet, so bring the phone fully charged with a spare battery or allow for a USB charger that can be plugged into your gaming device.

What am I NOT allowed to bring?
No speakers. No UPS’s. No multiplugs. No double adaptors or two-pin adaptors. No switches or hubs. No additional devices requiring power for example fans, cell phone chargers, Etc. No drugs. No alcohol. No attitude that prevents you and everybody else having fun. Not more than one device for gaming such as a laptop plus a PC/console. No cellphone chargers that require mains power. No food or drinks may be brought into the venue. No smoking in the venue. No monitors larger than 27”.

My clan is sponsored by XYZ Company, so are we allowed to wear t-shirts/caps with their logo on?
Yes of course. The only thing we do not allow is sponsor banners and advertising to be erected anywhere in the LAN. The LAN is sponsored by our partners [HP, Intel, IS and NAG] and they reserve full and exclusive rights to all branding within the LAN area.

Is there a sleeping area at the LAN?
This year there will be demarcated sleeping areas (look out for the sleeping zones marked by tape on the ground). Sleeping is only allowed in these designated areas. Should you put your mattress/pillow/sleeping bag down outside of a designated sleeping area, you will be woken up and asked to move. This is a new rule that has been instituted by the Fire Chief, and is in place to ensure the safety of all gamers inside the LAN in the event that an evacuation has to take place at any point.

Can I pre-book seating in the LAN?
You will not be able to reserve specific seating when you purchase your ticket at Computicket. First come, first serve.

Does my PC need antivirus software?
The likelihood of viruses is very high. Therefore patch your systems, get firewalls, and get anti-virus software before you leave home, or get a free version at the very least. We might have trial versions available on the servers, but that might be too late to avoid a problem.

Do I need to bring a network cable/lead?
No, all network related equipment is supplied up to your PC/laptop/console. We will thus provide a network lead to your seat.

Will there be patch servers?
Patches required for most of the popular games will be available on one of the servers. We will however limit the available bandwidth from this server, so that somebody does not decide to grab 6GB’s of patches from the server, compromising the availability to other players. Note however that most of the newer games patch themselves automatically. So if you plan to play a game that has accumulated some dust, start it up at home in the weeks leading up to the LAN and update it to the latest version. This will ensure that you have time to fix issues that may arise due to updates, and ultimately ensure maximum gaming fun/time at the LAN.

How do I know what servers are up and running?
Most of the games that are being played these days require connection to servers being managed by the developers and hosted on the Internet. They control piracy, updates and cheating through this mechanism. Due to this strategy very few games have dedicated servers available for local hosting. Since our Internet connection is awesome (thanks Internet Solutions!), we no longer focus on hosting local servers. So use the normal in-game browser or similar utilities that you would at home to monitor game server availability. Please do not use scanning software since this is a big no no. You are obviously welcome to host any game servers on your PC. We do have servers available that allow for some games to be hosted by us, but the need must be warranted, i.e. more than 2 people playing a specific game.

Can I bring food and drinks to the LAN?
Food and drinks will be for sale inside the venue during the day and the night. There are take-out food vendors as well as restaurants located across the road in the Northgate Shopping Centre, but you will not be allowed to bring any of their food back into the venue, as this is a venue regulation.

Will my PC/console/laptop be secure if I go and have a bite to eat?
There are security guards posted around the venue for the entire weekend, both day and night. The safety of your equipment is however still your responsibility. So don’t leave your cell phone, iPod or camera lying on the table while you go for lunch or to the restroom. This will lead to unnecessary temptation. Take your mouse, headphones etc. with you when you leave, or ask a buddy to keep an eye on your stuff, or pack your loose items and peripherals into your bag. No PC’s/laptops/consoles or monitors will be allowed to enter or leave the venue between 22h00 and 08h00 every day. This is for the safety of everyone's equipment inside the venue.

Can I smoke inside the venue?
No smoking inside the venue is permitted even if you make use of electronic cigarettes. If you are smoking hot, you will be allowed. If you have a smoking hot sister, you will definitely be allowed. Should you just wish to line your lungs with tar, dedicated smoking areas are made available outside of the venue. Please note that smoking inside the venue, including sneaking a few puffs in the toilets, will result in dire consequences.

How can I secure the data on my PC?
Please ensure that your PC has the latest service packs installed BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME. Please ensure that the virus pattern file is up to date BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME. Do not share anything if you do not want it to be copied. Make sure your Shares are Read-only if you need to share. Remember to bring any software and serial numbers that you may require. We do not have drivers available at the event. Before you arrive at the LAN make a backup of your most precious memories and data onto CD, DVD or external storage device that you can safely store at home in the case that your data at the LAN is corrupted or lost. This is a normal procedure that you should be following anyway even if you do not go to LAN events regularly.

What does the R650 ticket price include?
Free access to the NAG LAN all weekend as well as access to the rAge expo for three days during official show hours. The use of a chair, table, power outlet, network point and awesome internet connection for the entire weekend. Access to an abundance of fast food. Taking photos with booth babes. Pwning the noobs sitting at the table opposite you. The latest in the gaming industry on show. Many odd like-minded individuals. Did we mention some booth babes, ok lots of them. Fun, awesomeness and a pinch of gaming. Oh yeah, and a beautifully printed ticket that will be torn apart when you arrive. Bragging rights go without saying.

Can my mom or dad come with to help me carry my stuff when I arrive for registration?
Yes, they will be given a Parent Pass which will allow them access to assist you.

Can my girlfriend/boyfriend come and visit me in the LAN?
Yes, they will need to purchase a Weekend Pass Ticket to the expo. You must then accompany them to the NAG LAN Registration Desk.

Will there be an extra seat for my girlfriend/boyfriend to sit on?
No additional seating is available in the LAN.

Are there shower facilities?
Should you have a Virgin Active membership that allows you to use clubs all over the country, then you will be allowed entry into the Virgin Active Northgate branch, situated across the road, provided you bring your membership card with you.
For those gamers without a Virgin membership we have a portable shower system (click this link for an image) that will be located in Parking Block F (Precinct Map can be found here). All NAG LAN gamers are welcome to make use of this facility during day time hours only on Friday & Saturday (between 6am and 6pm) and on Sunday (between 6am and 2pm). The showers will be manned by a security guard during these times and will be locked outside of these hours.
Please don’t forget to bring your own toiletries and towel with!

What Internet connection will there be at the LAN?
Mweb are supplying the epic internet bandwidth so get ready for some lightning-fast online gaming! The connection performance per user is almost certainly and most definitely (probably) way better than anything you are used to at home, except if you happen to maybe live with Bill Gates. Having pings of 5 or less to servers are not uncommon in the LAN.

What networking equipment will be running the LAN?
Aruba are supplying the necessary network switches to run the ultra-slick and super-fast network. We like to keep the network specs under wraps to avoid undue stress of the eyes being exposed to too much awesomeness. If the question is whether you will have a gigabit connection at your table, the answer is no since no game that we have come across exceeds the need of a 100Mbps connection.

What servers will be used for the LAN?
Intel is supplying the mighty servers needed to host the games and services required by the LAN, so you will be assured of their usual high-performance and reliability. Since most game servers are Internet based these days, very limited local game servers will be hosted and only in the case where a need is identified.

Who will be running the NAG LAN?
The same core VC staff that always run the NAG LAN will be in attendance day and night. This means your LAN will always be powered, always be connected and always be fun. Please speak to any of the VC staff at the event if things aren’t what you expected so that they may have the opportunity to address any issues.

Is there an off-loading area when I arrive at the LAN?
There is no off-loading area so you will need to park your car in Parking Block E and bring your stuff from there. You will need to show your original Computicket ticket to the security guards on duty at the parking entrance to gain access, but DO NOT leave the security guard without getting your ticket back as you will need to present this ticket to us at the LAN Registration Desk. Please ask us to issue you with a Parking Pass before you leave the Registration desk as we will take your original Computicket ticket from you.

What if it’s raining when I arrive?
The venue is a closed indoor building so once you're inside you shouldn't get wet. However, if you arrive and it’s raining we suggest bringing large plastic bags to cover your stuff while carrying it from the car park to the Registration Desk. But who are we kidding, rain in this drought?

What is the Power Test Station?
All PC’s, laptops and consoles will be tested for power upon arrival at the Registration Desk. We will ask you to plug your PC/laptop/console and monitor into the supplied power cords and start to boot. If both your monitor and PC start without tripping the power, you can switch them off and carry on through to Registration. LED/LCDs are not tested, just their power supplies if they require it. This necessary procedure is to alert us of potential problems before you arrive at your LAN seat and cause your entire row to trip. Travelling may affect perfectly working PCs.

If I have bought a NAG LAN ticket and am unable to attend, can I get a refund?
Computicket will only offer refunds on NAG LAN tickets in accordance with their standard terms and conditions: If the cancellation occurs more than 30 days prior to the event a 15% cancellation fee will apply; If the cancellation occurs less than 30 but more than 7 days prior to the event a 50% cancellation fee will apply; If the cancellation occurs less than 7 days prior to the event a 100% cancellation fee will apply. Please contact them directly for their terms and conditions on refunds.

Is there anything else that I should bring with me to the LAN?
This handy checklist might serve as a useful list to go through before you leave home:
Drivers for all your hardware; All the serial numbers that you require in case of re-installing; Screwdriver; Eye drops; Headache pills; Something warm to keep the bones comfy (it gets cold at night inside the venue); Charged cell phone and a USB charger if the battery does not last a weekend; Emergency contact numbers; Computicket ticket; Money for sustenance; Medical cards and information in case of a medical emergency; Reservations if you booked a place to stay; Enough money for petrol to get back home; Mouse; Keyboard/gamepad; Monitor (27” is the largest we allow); PC/console/laptop; Headphones; Power cord from PC/console/laptop and Monitor to supplied Multiplug (Red flat earth pin plug required); Contact details of buddies that you are planning on meeting at the LAN; AND MOST IMPORTANTLY a good spirit to come and have fun and enjoy the weekend!

Some simple rules to ensure we all have fun:
o No PC’s/consoles/laptops will be allowed to be checked in between 22h00 – 8h00 on Friday or Saturday.
o No PC’s/console/laptops will be allowed to leave the venue between 22h00 – 8h00 on Friday or Saturday so please plan accordingly.
o We will not allow Port Scanning and Hacking into machines. If you do, you will be asked to leave the LAN. If you are unsure whether your software is allowed, please ask.
o Please ensure that you do not lose your access card (this is issued to you at the Registration Desk when you arrive), since you will need to wait till the end of the event (Sunday at 15h00) before you can leave so that we can verify equipment.
o Opening time: 09h00 Friday 6 October 2017
o Closing time: 15h00 Sunday 8 October 2017
o Have your PC and Monitor tested at the Power Test Station.
o Only two PC's/consoles/laptops per MultiPlug are allowed, in other words each person is allocated only two plug points.
o No drugs or alcohol are permitted.
o IP Addresses: DHCP
o Red dedicated plugs are required. Please don’t unplug the power, and don’t force your plug – rather ask one of the admins for assistance.
o You may not use/bring your own multiplugs or network equipment, if unsure ask ShadowOrphan.
o Do not share anything if you do not want it to be copied. Make sure your Shares are “Read only” if you need to share.
o Please take your keyboard, mouse, headphones, cellphone and wallet with you when you are leaving the venue.
o Please ensure that you PC/laptop has the latest service packs installed.
o Please ensure that you have some anti-virus software installed on your PC. A free Virus program will be available from the VC website.
o Please don’t leave open seats between gamers. They are going to fill up anyway and it might mean you will need to move a couple of seats during the event.
o If you experience any problems at the LAN, please let someone from VC know immediately so that we can address it and find a solution to the problem. If you do not give us the opportunity to rectify the problem, do not complain afterwards.
o Please do bring a sporting attitude with a desire to have fun.
o Right of admission is reserved.
o Should you buy computer equipment at the rAge expo itself, please check it in through our registration desk with your receipt and we will give you additional security stickers.

First time attending the NAG LAN and you’re not sure how the Registration Desk works?

Step 1 – We will ask you to plug a power cord into your monitor. If the ready light lights up, it is fine. CRTs are tested, LCDs are not tested.
Step 2 - We will ask you to plug a power cord into your PC/console and switch it on. If it starts to boot without tripping the power, you may switch it off. For laptops we will only test the PSU. The reason for testing is to ensure that nothing went wrong with your PC or monitor whilst travelling. We request that you power your devices yourself; to ensure that we do not stray from your diligent proven sequence that reduces hardware failures.
Step 3 – You will be issued with a “I tested my PC” mark.
Step 4 - Take your gaming rig and equipment to the next station and present your NAG LAN Computicket ticket.
Step 5 - You will then be given a NAG LAN wrist band as well as an access card and five numbered stickers. The stickers must go on every item of your gaming rig (instructions are on the bottom of the sticker). Do not lose, drop or throw your access card away as this will allow someone to leave the venue with your equipment. If you do lose or misplace your access card you will need to stay until 15h00 on Sunday before you and your equipment will be checked out of the LAN. Do not remove your wrist band as without it you will not be given access to either the LAN or rAge Expo.
Step 6 - Find a seat, first come first serve. You may hold an open seat next to you for your friend that might be arriving a little later, but do take note that as the LAN fills up, someone might come and take the seat that you are keeping. We do ask that you try and resolve this in an amicable and friendly manner. Should they not wish to comply with your request, its first come first serve.
Step 7 - Plug in your PC/console/laptop and monitor and peripherals. Each multiplug only supports two PC’s/console’s/laptops so ensure that you keep to this so that you do not cause a power failure. Remember only half the table is yours, so plan accordingly. Should you be sitting at the end of a row it is recommended that your PC case goes on the floor underneath your table. The smaller center tables are off limits as they are used for running cables and for switches so please don’t put anything on them.
Step 8 - DHCP addresses are assigned and you should be good to go.
Step 9 - Have fun and remember that you can ask an admin for assistance at any time.

UPDATE: Safety & Security
This is an update to our FAQ with regards to safety and security for the NAG LAN, so please take note of the following:

• If you are planning to arrive early to queue on the Thursday, you will be asked by security/parking attendants to gather in Parking lot E until we have finished setting up all the areas outside the entrances.
• At 4pm you will be allowed access into the precinct and will be directed to move from parking lot E to the NAG LAN entrance.
• Under no circumstances are you allowed to bring alcohol onto the premises. rAge is a family show and we do not sell any alcohol. In addition to that the Ticketpro Dome is not licensed to provide alcohol outside of the venue – anything found will be confiscated.
• If any LANners are under the age of 18, we need to have a letter of consent from your parents/guardian stating that a medic can treat you in the event of an emergency or accident. Please include your parents' contact details on the letter so that we can phone them if the need arises.