User Tag List

Thread: "On the Creation of Niggers" - An H.P. Lovecraft Poem

Default "On the Creation of Niggers" - An H.P. Lovecraft Poem

For those of you who don't know H.P. Lovecraft is a very well-known author from around the 1920's - 30's who is best known for the creation of the Cthulhu Mythos and other excellent poems and fantasy/sci-fi writings.

Yesterday I decided to trawl the internet and look through his writings and poems and immerse myself in his impressive worlds...then I found this poem...

On the Creation of Niggers
    by H. P. Lovecraft

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
    In Iove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
    The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
    Yet were they too remote from humankind.
    To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
    Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
    A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
    Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
    Link

Now that is some high-quality, old-school racism right there...

Default Re: "On the Creation of Niggers" - An H.P. Lovecraft Poem

I'm so disgusted reading this.
    Sure it was 1900~ but that's no excuse :/

It's tempting to dismiss this poem and Lovecraft's general racial views as being typical of his time, but really, they're not.
    Last edited by Ajust; 28-02-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajust View Post

Nice find, thx.

Lovecraft submerged himself in darkness and this has both it's pros and it's cons. The time period in which he wrote could also have been a contributing factor but not decisive.

It is also pretty clear in his writing that hatred was a driving force in his creativity. Hatred, fear, despair, the grotesque... all are important facets of his works. The sentiments expressed in that poem are not by any means forgivable, but are definitely not reason enough to dismiss him as a great author and a literary genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajust View Post
    I'm so disgusted reading this.
    Sure it was 1900~ but that's no excuse :/
    Well, actually it is. That's just how things were then, and people didn't give much thought to it.

One day, people will probably point at all our stupidity about, say, sex, and say, "Well, it was the 2000s".

I'm surprised people are surprised by this. No one's a saint. Hell, even Ghandi was an outspoken racist.

People get so hysterical about hot topics like RACISM, but I don't see anyone declaring righteous indignation that women didn't have suffrage in the UK until 1928. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    Well, actually it is. That's just how things were then, and people didn't give much thought to it.

One day, people will probably point at all our stupidity about, say, sex, and say, "Well, it was the 2000s".
    Maybe you're right.

This is a touchy topic that too easily triggers my "black-n-white" vizor.
    Last edited by Ajust; 28-02-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    People get so hysterical about hot topics like RACISM, but I don't see anyone declaring righteous indignation that women didn't have suffrage in the UK until 1928. :/
    You make a good point. It's similar to the whole swearing on the forums debate really.

People have this automatic loathing of racism that's spawned by social and political propaganda. Racism in general is less socially acceptable than sexism is. I mean, some fundamental Christians still believe that a woman's place in this world is to cook and clean. It's just as bad, just not as emphasized.

As has already been pointed out, this poem was written a long time ago.

However, let's not all pretend racism doesn't still exist, shall we? In fact, I'll go so far as to say that most people are passively racist. If passive racism weren't so prevalent, we'd see far more mixed race couples, mixed race groups of friends (and I'm not talking about a bunch of white rugger buggers with a token coloured guy, I'm talking about evenly mixed groups with whites, blacks, Asians, etc), and people wouldn't even be aware of the fact that their friends were made up of various races, because it would be the norm.

Let's also not forget that white people are not the only racists. People of other races can be just as racist, and often even more blatantly so right here in modern times, because somehow it's deemed more acceptable for a black rapper to go on about "honkeys" and "crackers" than it is for a white to talk about "niggers". Love the double standard.

And don't even get me started on an issue like patriotism, which has more in common with racism than it does with anything else, and yet in most countries it's not only deemed acceptable, but is encouraged. Patriotism, after all, is a form of selective pride and altruism based purely on nationality. It's really not all that different from treating one race better than another.

Oh, and another thing: the person who wrote that article that Ajust linked to doesn't know what the hell he is talking about when he says that Lovecraft's views were atypical for his time. Lovecraft had already been long dead by the time the Civil Rights Movement started in the US. Quite on the contrary, outright racism was the order of the day during his lifetime.

totally screams without needing a mouth .dB's Avatar

LOL.

Stuff like this just shows how casual racism was back then. how ever I do agree with Onona, there is still a lot of passive racism today.

Okay, show's over. Back to heterosexuality for you.

So what we've learned here is:

a. Racism was blatant in the 1900s and
    b. Racism is still pretty blatant today.
    c. Someone said something about sex which was worth mentioning

\o/ + 1 for new discoveries!

Epic Necropost, yawza...

What I'm actually interested in knowing is why you searched the keywords you did? Obviously you didn't come across this thread just browsing around...

Quote Originally Posted by Brodon View Post
    Nice find, thx.
    Well, actually it is. That's just how things were then, and people didn't give much thought to it.....

.................................................. ....
    Brodon

And thanks for adding your name at the end there Brodon, we had no idea it was you...

Quote Originally Posted by McDangerous View Post
    Epic Necropost, yawza...

What I'm actually interested in knowing is why you searched the keywords you did? Obviously you didn't come across this thread just browsing around...

Good point... I'd like to think he just searched for HP Lovecraft...
    Last edited by Flangenimblick; 23-07-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Sort of came out of nowhere, this did. (?)

This thread was resurrected by a spambot. Get it together, folks.