Admit it, the majority of us gaming types aren’t exactly that cultured (apologies to those that are, but you know this to be true). Fortunately, London’s Philharmonic Orchestra realises this as well and so they’re about to release an album of well known videogame music in an attempt to drag the more Neanderthal-like gamers into a more cultured existence. Also, they want to make money.
If you’ve wondered what the Super Mario Bros. or Angry Birds theme sounds like when played by a complete orchestra, then wonder no more. There will be more to the 21 track album than those however; expect to hear music from Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect and even the Call of Duty series.
I’m all for this! Nine times out of ten I’ll have some game’s theme tune stuck in my head from day to day, so now I get to look forward to having full orchestral game music stuck in my head instead. The album will be out on 8 November 2011 and will be available as a digital download as well. Hit the jump for a full track listing as well as the bizarre cover art.
1. Advent Rising: Muse (Composed by Tommy Tallarico, Emmanuel Fratianni, and Laurie Robinson)
2. Legend of Zelda: Suite (Composed by Koji Kondo)
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Theme (Composed by Hans Zimmer)
4. Angry Birds: Main Theme (Composed by Ari Pulkkinen)
5. Final Fantasy VIII: Liberi Fatali (Composed by Nobuo Uematsu)
6. Super Mario Bros. Theme (Composed by Mahito Yokota and Koji Kondo)
7. Uncharted – Drake’s Fortune: Nate’s Theme (Composed by Greg Edmonson)
8. Grand Theft Auto IV: Soviet Connection (Composed by Michael Hunter)
9. World of Warcraft: Seasons of War (Composed by Jason Hayes)
10. Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty Theme (Composed by Harry Gregson-Williams)
11. Tetris: Theme (Composed by Alexey Pajitnov)
12. Battlefield 2: Theme (Composed by Joel Eriksson)
13. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Composed by Jeremy Soule)
14. Call of Duty 4 – Modern Warfare: Main Menu Theme (Composed by Stephen Barton and Harry Gregson-Williams)
15. Mass Effect: Suicide Mission (Composed by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick)
16. Splinter Cell: Conviction (Composed by Michael Nielsen, Kaveh Cohen, and Amon Tobin)
17. Final Fantasy: Main Theme (Composed by Nobuo Uematsu)
18. BioShock: The Ocean on his Shoulders (Composed by Garry Schyman)
19. Halo 3: One Final Effort (Composed by Martin O’Donnell and Michael Salvatori)
20. Fallout 3: Theme (Composed by Inon Zur)
21. Super Mario Bros.: Gusty Garden Galaxy (Composed by Koji Kondo)