The new Tomb Raider reboot is out next month, and to date the marketing campaign has made Lara out to be a vulnerable young woman struggling to survive. Here’s a new developer diary that will completely obliterate that misconception. Judging by this new footage, Lara will be frightened and vulnerable for about the first 30 seconds of the game; after that she’ll start embedding climbing axes into people’s skulls. There’s also liberal usage of arrows to stab enemies in the throat at point-blank-range – Legolas style.
This is the Lara we’re all used to – the one that can devastate an area’s local fauna in the time it takes to play through the average level. Hit the jump for the new clip; try not to cringe as people take shotgun blasts to the face.
In addition to the new footage, the fine folks at Megarom have forwarded the official PC requirements for the game. The great news is that Tomb Raider has been “extensively optimized” for the PC.
According to the official press release:
“Tomb Raider for PCs has been extensively optimized to heighten the gameplay experience; with the goal of taking advantage of the PC platform. Enhanced features include: full integration with Steamworks, increased detail tessellation, improved SSAO and post-filter effects, and very high resolution textures, shadows and cloths.”
Here’s a neat list of added PC features:
- Very high resolution textures with up to 16x the amount of data
- Detail Tessellation to enhance the detail on many surfaces in the game
- Higher quality shadows
- High quality bokeh depth of field with near-blur
- Tessellation algorithms used to smooth out geometry
- Improved cloth, SSAO, quality wetness effects, and post-filter effects.
- LOD quality is adjustable for better quality on higher-end machines
Minimum system requirements for PC
- Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM:
- AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT
- nVidia 8600
- Dual core CPU:
- AMD Athlon64 X2 2.1 Ghz (4050+)
- Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
- 1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)
Recommended system requirements for PC
- Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
- DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM:
- AMD Radeon HD 4870
- nVidia GTX 480
- Quad core CPU:
- AMD Phenom II X2 565
- Intel Core i5-750
- 4GB Memory