In less than three days (T-minus 02 days, 17 hours, 07 minutes and 15 seconds, according to the rAge website countdown timer when we wrote this article) thousands of people will be descending on the TicketPro Dome to get their geek on. The weekend is packed full of so many cool things to experience, and we’ve got some highlights for you to pencil in to your busy schedule. We suggest that you get your Weekend Pass ticket, because there’s way too much to see and do in just one day!
If you cant make it to rAge then follow our updates here. For those of you who will be joining us, here’s what’s happening when and where.
- Airsoft HQ will be showcasing the latest range of Airsoft rifles, handguns and accessories as well as promoting ongoing game days for new and existing fans of the sport.
- They also have a 15% off show special with various packages that will be unique to rAge.
- Take a selfie at rAge with the AlwaysOn logo and stand a chance to win a PlayStation console.
- Razer – The Forge will be on display and demo as well as the Chroma range.
- Come meet the local Bravado Team Razer DOTA 2 team at the stand on Saturday 10 October from 16h00-16h30.
- Plantronics – Displaying the new Rig 500s and giving away two RIGs during the course of the show. There will also be a lucky draw to give away a smaller headset twice a day.
- Racing section – WRC5 (World Rally Championship 5) will have two racing simulators for visitors to try out the game. There will be a leaderboard and give aways for fastest lap. The Stig will also make an appearance.
- Hands-on with MXvsATV Encore Edition on PS4, as well as Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition on PS4.
- Blowfish Entertainment will be showcasing Magic: the Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon Trading Card Games. There will be “learn-to-play” demonstrations for all three games as well as introductory decks to those who take part in demonstrations (subject to availability).
- Launch weekend of the highly anticipated brand new Magic: the Gathering set, “Battle for Zendikar”.
- Blowfish Entertainment will also be giving away prizes to cosplayers who cosplay characters from any of their brands on show and take a selfie at their stand with the photo uploaded to either Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #unplugyourself.
- Boardgames.co.za will have the first unveiling of the new Matt Leacock game, Thunderbirds which will launch in November.
- Newly launched games available to play and buy.
- Newly launched expansions & accessories.
- Playoffs for the Entelect 100KChallenge have just concluded, and the 8 finalists will be at rAge to battle it out for over R200,000 in prizes! The grand finale takes place on the main stage at 09h00 on Saturday morning.
- GeekXP will be relaunching their website with additional functionality. To help promote the relaunch, Wandering Free has sponsored another fantastic travel prize – anyone registered on the new website by the close of rAge will go into the draw to win a trip for one to South East Asia for a ‘Tomb Raider’ experience. Prize Includes: a 14 day guided small group tour; 12 nights’ accommodation in comfortable 3 star hotels on a sharing basis; 1 nights’ accommodation in a basic homestay to experience Mekong Delta hospitality on a sharing basis; Transport by private minibus/coach and various boats; 13 breakfasts; 1 lunch and 2 dinners; All transport and activities as per detailed tour itinerary; Tour leader throughout; and arrival and departure transfers from the airport.
- home_coded is an initiative that was started by NAG in November 2012 with an aim to showcase the very best in South African game development talent, and promote local growth in this exciting industry. Not only can you meet the local devs and interview them, but you’ll be able to play all their latest games that are still in development.
- Sixteen stands will be showcasing fifteen South African-made games.
- Learn3D, a training centre for the media and entertainment industry, will be showcasing the new Oculus Rift. Don’t miss this one at Stand 5!
LEGION INK & ARTISTS ALLEY
- Legionink is a community of creatives like no other. 2015 marks their 6th appearance at rAge, from humble beginnings as a small promotional booth to rAge’s official Artists’ Alley and organisers of the wildly successful rAge Cosplay Competition.
- The Artists’ Alley is an avenue of exposure for local independent artists that would never be able to afford the price of a full stand at the event on their own, and allowing local art, comic and gaming fans to meet the people behind the work.
- The Cosplay competition has well over 100 entries for this year and this annual rAge event sees cosplayers from all parts of the country joining in on the fun.
NAG MERCHANDISE SHOPPE
- Awesome NAG and rAge branded gear and accessories – think mousepads, T-shirts, stress balls, coasters, keyrings, beanies – will be on sale during the expo from the NAG Merchandise Shoppe.
NAG OVERCLOCKING WORKSHOP
- NAG, in collaboration with MSI, will be hosting an Overclocking Workshop at rAge. Three of our country’s most prominent overclockers will be running the workshop – Andrew “dRweEZ” Roberts, Goddy “ViVi” Roodt, and Neo “ShockG” Sibeko. Throughout the weekend amateur and novice overclockers will be shown the ropes and will compete against each other for a chance at winning prizes to the value of R15,000.
- This past weekend the inaugural NAG Jam took place online, and 8 of the best games will be on display at the Intel stand (stand 64) for visitors to play. The prizegiving will be held on the Main Stage on Friday at 5.20pm.
- This year the headline sponsor for the NAG LAN is FPB, with Intel, as always, providing the servers needed to host the LAN. HP will be supplying the network infrastructure and switches, while broadband connectivity is managed by IS, ensuring the lowest possible pings when connecting to online servers.
- The PlayStation stand will have the following games for visitors to play – Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, PES 2016, and Mad Max.
- Showcasing all Disney Infinity characters, Disney, Disney Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars. Visitors will also be able to play the 3.0 Star Wars version.
- For the first time in rAge history Call of Duty multiplayer will be playable on the show floor. Black Ops III is coming out with its gun blazing allowing attendees to play in a 6v6 fight to the death!
- Other games that will be on display are: Rainbow 6 Siege; Just Cause 3; Assassins Creed Syndicate, The Division, Guitar Hero Live, WWE 2K 16, NBA 2K16, Skylanders SuperChargers.
- Showcasing brands such as Cooler Master, BenQ, Corsair, GIGABYTE, Aorus, Acer, Intel and Microsoft.
- An experience centre will have two Virtual Reality headsets on demo, showcasing the latest in personal entertainment.
- Give-aways galore will also be handed out at the stand.
- Rectron is hosting the first ever competitive Heroes of the Storm tournament that will culminate in LAN finals hosted at the Rectron stand which will give the top 8 Heroes of the Storm Teams the opportunity to battle it out in front of a live audience for a share of R60 000 in prize money. All games will be live streamed on Twitch.
- Skycastle Games will be showcasing: The Dice Masters range (collectible dice building game); The X-Wing miniatures games; The Game of Thrones board game; The Marvel VS Card game; Heroclix ranges; and The Krosmaster miniatures board game.
- Will be doing a competition giveaway at their stand on the Saturday with a leader board ranking system that will result in a winner at the end of the day. The winner will receive a Slyr Black/Yellow valued at R1,699.00 as well as a Skullcandy Hamper.
- SLAY & PLAY: Slay your old headphones in the Skullcandy recycle bin on their stand, up your game and play with 30% off any Skullcandy Gaming headsets. (Ts & cs Apply).
- Start Up (www.startupautism.com) is an organisation that supports individuals diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome (and related ASD diagnoses) in finding and maintaining appropriate high-end employment opportunities as well as educational placement. A career in gaming is highly appealing to those with AS and many of these individuals show remarkable talent in gaming, computers and game development. If you or someone you know has AS, rAge offers you a chance to speak to the Start Up organisation on the show floor (at stand 9).
- Over R970,000 in prizes is on offer for the 408 gamers competing in six competitive titles in this years Do Gaming Championships eSports event.
- Unplug Yourself is a campaign which promotes table-top gaming in South Africa. The campaign was conceived in 2014 by three of South Africa’s leading table-top gaming distributors, Skycastle Games, Board Games SA and Blowfish Entertainment. The campaign is planned to be an on-going initiative for the foreseeable future, moving beyond rAge and extending to retailer participation and further promotional drives. The aim is to make table-top gaming a staple activity of every home in South Africa. They will be exhibiting and demoing the latest products from all three distributor’s catalogues as well as popular favourites.
- Xbox will showcase the following games on their stand: Cuphead; Rise of the Tomb Raider; Forza Motorsport 6; Rare Replay.
- Gaming on Windows 10 will be communicated with the following features: Streaming Xbox One to Windows 10; Xbox App.
- Fallout 4 Vault Boy photo opportunity.