I always feel like a bit of a muppet whenever I see screenshots or footage of The Banner Saga, because I wonder if I’m simply not worthy of witnessing its gorgeous hand-painted artworks. Maybe that’s because it feels like cheating that I get to see Such A Pretty Thing even though I’ve never actually made the time to play it and experience the game beneath the art.
Now, The Banner Saga 2 is set to land very soon, and I’m determined to ensure I don’t make the same mistake twice. Whether or not you’ve played the original game, there’s a fresh launch trailer for its sequel, and you should watch it.
Gosh, yes, I like that a lot. Of course, it helps that I’m a sucker for Norse mythology, but even if I wasn’t, just look at that beautiful thing. If this has you keen to dive into the original game, it’s on sale for R54 right now on Steam. You can also pre-order the sequel, which unlocks on April 19th, via Steam for a discounted price of R197. That price’ll increase to R219 come launch day.
Here’s a list of features that’ll be in the second game, shamelessly pulled from its Steam page because why not:
- The epic Viking saga continues on – beautifully 2D hand drawn combat sequences and animations are further enhanced with special effects, once again accompanied by an evocative score from Grammy-nominated composer Austin Wintory
- Player choice that continues to drive your narrative – your story continues based on choices made in the first game as well as hard choices you have to make in this one.
- New Characters and a New Race – continue your epic journey interacting with new characters and a new race, the Horseborn.
- Improved Strategic combat with consequences – improved, more strategic battle boards enhance combat and permanent loss of characters will still weigh heavy on your mind long after the battle is over.
- The journey is as important as battle – your role in building and managing your caravan as you travel the vast landscape is critical to not only your own survival but the survival of an entire civilization.