“Dive into a childhood fantasy world, use lights to scare away monsters!” That’s the pitch for upcoming puzzle platformer In The Shadows. Sounds fairly simple, doesn’t it? There’s hidden complexity and deeper meaning beneath the game’s charming pixel-art aesthetic, however.
Really, it’s all about confronting your fears. Intrigued? Then read on.
In In The Shadows, you play a man who revisits a “childhood fantasy world to remember his past and to make sense of his life”. This translates into you playing as both the man and his toddler self, using light to scare away the monsters who inhabit the frightening darkness surrounding you. You’ll find things like lamp posts and light boxes, and using these to shed light on enemies will transform them into useful objects like ladders and trampolines that’ll help you progress.
Along the way you’ll hunt for stars that reveal secrets when collected. Here’s a feature list, pulled from the game’s Kickstarter page:
- Multiple fantastic worlds to explore.
- Many monsters, each with their own mechanics.
- Colorful environments with real time lighting!
- 45 levels to explore with challenging puzzles to solve.
- Hidden levels and secrets to uncover!
- Beautiful music made exclusively for the game.
- Xbox 360 and Xbox One Controller support.
Said Kickstarter is looking for 12,000 Canadian dollars, and as I write this it’s sitting at $8,590. The game is due to land on PC, PS4 and XBO sometime in the future.