Do you hate yourself? You’re going to love Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare‘s “Specialist” and “YOLO” modes, which dial the Masochist-O-Meter up to 11 with no health regeneration, equipment damage, and permadeath. Just like real life! Minus the laser guns and space stuff, obviously.
Described as “intensely realistic”, the Specialist mode features a lot of why-are-you-even-doing-this modifiers, including:
- You can only heal with Nano Shots, there is no health regeneration in this mode.
- Helmets are your only protection from headshots. They will take permanent damage and will need to be replaced.
- Both Nano Shots and helmets take up equipment slots, so remember to equip them in your loadout on the Retribution before each level.
- Master the lean from behind cover mechanic, which will be critical for your survival. Approach the edge of cover while standing or crouching, and aim down sights when you see a chevron appear on the side of your crosshairs. You will auto-pop from behind cover as you ADS.
- If you get shot in the legs, it will impact your movement. If you get shot in either arm, it will impact your ability to use equipment or aim down sights. Note: Your weapon can be shot out of your hands.
If you manage to limp through the campaign like that, you’ll unlock the YOLO mode, which presumably also uses the same modifiers but with only a single life available. And the worst part is, you know some dweeb on YouTube is going to finish it, like, two days after launch and make it look easy.
Game’s out tomorrow on PC, Xbox One, and PS4.