If like me, you’re also taking a brief sabbatical from Heroes of the Storm, you may have missed the news that the game’s upcoming 2.0 update is set to be a major game changer. With its release next week, it’ll bring with it a massive overhaul to player and hero progression, a ton of new customisation options, and the introduction of loot boxes.
Well, as if all of that wasn’t exciting enough, Blizzard has recently confirmed that the game’s next hero will be Overwatch‘s
second most annoying character Genji and that an Overwatch-inspired map called Hanamura (which looks absolutely sick) is also on the way.
Similar to his Overwatch counterpart, Heroes‘ Genji is billed as “an opportunistic, highly-mobile Assassin who can tear apart a weak backline,” and his abilities reflect (hah!) that pretty well.
- Cyber Agility: Activate to jump to the target area
- Shuriken (Q): Throw 3 Shuriken in a spread pattern, each dealing 65 damage to the first enemy hit. Stores up to 3 charges. Shuriken’s cooldown replenishes all charges at the same time.
- Deflect (W): Become Protected for 1.25 seconds. Any damage blocked during this period causes Genji to throw a Kunai toward the nearest enemy, prioritising Heroes and dealing 55 damage. Damage Deflected: 0
- Swift Strike (E): Dash forward, dealing 215 damage to all enemies in a line. Enemy Heroes that die within 2 seconds of being hit with Swift Strike cause the cooldown and mana cost to be refunded.
- Dragonblade (R): Unleash the Dragonblade for 8 seconds. While active, Dragonblade can be reactivated to lunge forward and slash in a huge arc, dealing 240 damage. If enemy Heroes are killed within 2 seconds of being hit by Dragonblade, Swift Strike’s cooldown is reset.
- X-Strike (R): Perform two slashes dealing 135 damage. The Slashes detonate after 1.25 seconds causing an additional 270 damage to enemies in their area.
While Genji seems like a really badass addition to the game and all, I’m surprisingly most excited about the new Hanamura map showcased in the video below.
“Harness the power of explosive payloads as you vie for control of the Shimada clan’s ancestral home – Hanamura,” reads its description. “Introducing new mercenaries, new objectives, and a brand new battleground theme to the Nexus, Hanamura is the next battleground hitting the Nexus in Heroes of the Storm 2.0!”
A full breakdown of all of the map’s objectives can be found in the 2.0 update beta patch notes, but here’s the gist of it:
- Move the payload
- Protect the payload
- Empower the payload
- STAY WITH THE DAMNED PAYLOAD, YOU INGRATES!
Seriously though, getting the payloads to the objective is the main way to deal damage to the enemy team’s core, and after dealing seven damage, your team wins.
Hanamura will also feature mercenary camps like you’ve never seen before in HOTS. There are three camp types in total, the first being recon camps that “release 3 Dragon Spirits that seek out enemy Heroes, who are then revealed for 5 seconds.” Fortification camps award players with turrets that can be picked up and placed anywhere, even on a friendly payload. The third set of camps is support oriented, granting players a consumable “Healing Pulse” that will heal and grant mana to you and your team for 15 seconds. Rounding off the NPC crew is a new boss called the “Mega Enforcer,” which will deal one damage to the enemy core once defeated.
Both Genji and the new map should already be available to try on the game’s PTR, and will most likely go live sometime after the big 2.0 update which drops on 25 April.