If you haven’t already been banned from the game, you’ll be mega-hyped to know that Bungie is working on New! Improved! Now with 100% extra gluten-free incentives! stuff to keep you busy when you’re finished with the campaign. Which is, like, most of the game anyway.
In Bungie’s blog this week, game director Christopher Barrett explains what’s what.
“We’ve been playing the game in the wild for seven weeks, and like the Destiny experiences that have come before, we’re always thinking about where the game is heading next,” he says. “We’re still planning when a bunch of the improvements listed below are going to make their way into the game, but we wanted to let you know what we’re up to.”
- New systems and rewards to give our most engaged players additional, optional pursuits.
- Better incentives for players who complete challenging Prestige activities.
- Better rewards and replay value for strikes, adventures, and Lost Sectors.
- Private matches for the competitive community (we are targeting early 2018).
- Crucible tuning like adjusted Supremacy scoring and better spawning rules.
- Better incentives for completing Crucible matches (and penalties for quitting competitive games).
- Continued improvements to Iron Banner and Faction Rallies, including uniqueness of rewards.
- Changes to make the mod economy more interesting and impactful.
- Ongoing improvements to Exotics, including adjustments to reduce instances of duplication.
- New ways to spend surplus currency and materials (looking at you Legendary Shards).
- An emote interface that allows players to equip Salty, Spicy Ramen, Six Shooter, and Flip Out all at the same time.
The studio is also dropping a game update next week that fixes, among other things, that creepy empty social spaces bug. So it wasn’t my smell, apparently.